Braking Noise and Parking Brake issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's bad news. Keep us posted.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine hasn't whooped much lately and not very loudly but today I had three in-laws on board and it did quite a loud one! I kept quiet initially and one said was that that tractor pulling out? I said no, they all do that sir, before briefly explaining what it was. They replied that it would frighten the hell out of them if they didn't know what it was and I can't argue with that.

The first time it happened after picking the car up made me jump, as I've mentioned before, but then remembered it being mentioned on here.

Would help if it was mentioned at handover but they aren't going to do that are they and you can imagine some of the comments they'd get!

Just reminded me that it's not acceptable really and glad that I don't carry many new passengers!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

BlackStar66 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:30 am Don't rely on Kia's 7 year warranty, my daughters 5 year old Sportage's engine with 40,000 went bang, piston through block. Full Kia service history, however Kia have refused to pay up, saying it's fair wear and tear! Going to court now. So my advice is to stick to what you know
Can't imagine how they can adopt a fair wear and tear stance . Their engines have a predicted life of 200,000 kilometers with correct service schedules and no signs of misuse.
neilgorin

Post by neilgorin »

Interesting. My v60 with this noise has gone in for repair as it has developed both a misfire and a crash protection fault - never had a single issue with any of my 3 previous Volvos before they hit 70k and then only minor problems.

They’ve lent me a 2024 model 73 reg XC40 B4. I thought I’d see if I could get this to belch, given I can now pretty much recreate this fault at will within a few miles on empty roads on my own one. Took 4 miles. Grindygrating noise, exactly as the v60.

I don’t see this as acceptable on new cars in this price bracket. I wouldn’t see it as acceptable on a base spec Dacia at a third of the price.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

neilgorin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:59 am Grindygrating noise, exactly as the v60.
According to Volvo’s response (John1989 post) “the occurrence of a disturbing sound that occasionally occurs when braking has been recognized by the manufacturer as a normal physical phenomenon of the flow of hydraulic oil through the control mechatronics of the 7DCT automatic transmission installed in your vehicle” Does your V60 have the 7 speed double clutch gearbox?
neilgorin

Post by neilgorin »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:18 am
neilgorin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:59 am Grindygrating noise, exactly as the v60.
According to Volvo’s response (John1989 post) “the occurrence of a disturbing sound that occasionally occurs when braking has been recognized by the manufacturer as a normal physical phenomenon of the flow of hydraulic oil through the control mechatronics of the 7DCT automatic transmission installed in your vehicle” Does your V60 have the 7 speed double clutch gearbox?
Yes, same engine and DCT box on the late 22 onwards V60 as the XC40.

Same feature which is clearly a fault but that Volvo are calling a feature because they have not worked out how to fix it.

Sounds far harsher than hydraulic oil flow.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

After updating to AAOS 2.13.3 owners mention the whooshing sound gone.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3947&sid=6b31d84f76 ... 2&start=10
John1989

Post by John1989 »

*Update on this issue* After a software update the sound is much less common, and less loud. I did not hear it during a recent trip when we drove around 700km in a day. I do occasionally still catch it, but it is alway mild and doesn't feel disturbing anymore. I'm not sure which update it was, but it was early spring this year.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, a few of us have noticed that. Mine goes for days now without doing it but did do it a few days ago when I was towing my trailer even though lightly loaded. As you say generally quieter but I did have a louder one recently. Still not really acceptable and wouldn't want to hear it on a test drive!

neilgorin

Post by neilgorin »

Mine (on the V60) also did the same - largely went with the software update some time in the spring, however very occasionally still does it but short and quiet normally.

Except one time last week when I was on a long journey with the windows down a bit and my wife and mother in law in the car. I came to a junction where a number of people were waiting to cross, pressed the brake and the noise was long and loud - enough to make the mother in law jump and get stares from the people waiting to cross the road.