Break Squeaking

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JamieRob93

Post by JamieRob93 »

Hi folks,

Recently just purchased a new (to me) xc40 T5 awd and absolutely love it, even the smiles per gallon.

I have a gripe with the breaks at very slow speeds (1/2mph). I have relatively new pads on and the disks look in decent Nick however the breaks squeal like a cat getting its tail stood on.

Has anyone experienced this or have any knowledge about it?

Thanks in advance.
XC40 T5 R-Design AWD Polestar

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Not a squeal but myself and others as mentioned on other threads experience a low groan when braking at very low speeds/manoeuvring/autohold applying. I've had it on previous cars and it's due to resonance.

Squealing is different though and could be due to the pads (are they standard Volvo?) or maybe a trapped stone? Has the noise been there all the time since the pads change?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Could be the springs that pull the pads off the disk haven't been fitted correctly.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

JamieRob93 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:18 pm Hi folks,

Recently just purchased a new (to me) xc40 T5 awd and absolutely love it, even the smiles per gallon.

I have a gripe with the breaks at very slow speeds (1/2mph). I have relatively new pads on and the disks look in decent Nick however the breaks squeal like a cat getting its tail stood on.

Has anyone experienced this or have any knowledge about it?

Thanks in advance.
Where did you purchase from ?
If it’s a main dealership, they should have used genuine pads / discs, so I’d be contacting them to advice, give it a week or so to bed in a bit more, still having issue, then return to them.

Same advice really if it wasn’t a main dealership, but they may not have used genuine pads / discs, so this maybe at other reason…

Hope you get it sorted 👍
Timmos

Post by Timmos »

Caliper hasnt been cleaned on the carriers......
JamieRob93

Post by JamieRob93 »

An update for those interested…

Unsure on the brand of the disks/pads due to purchasing the car 2nd hand from your local non-manufacturer dealership.

The pads have been inspected and the surrounding areas cleaned. Alas the noise still persisted.

Car is going back for a full front end pads and disk replacement with genuine Volvo parts which is being covered by the dealership so can’t fault them on that one.

Fingers crossed this sorts the issue!
XC40 T5 R-Design AWD Polestar
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My brakes have made an awful noise at very slow speeds from new. Think it's a "feature"
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Mine are silent, as would be expected.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
gtest

Post by gtest »

See "Brake Groan" for the solution...
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Good result from the dealer, hopefully it sorts the problem.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.