DPF regen

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Timmos

Post by Timmos »

Quick question I am picking my new old XC40 D3 2020 150BHP thursday from the Volvo dealer.

Mileage is 42000, would it a good idea to ask the Dealer to do a regen on the DPF? or should I just buy some bardahl diesel 5 in 1 cleaner?

Or should I just get on with and drive it.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Considering in 2020 we were in lockdown, 42k miles in 3 years doesn't sound like lots of short journeys so I wouldn't be overly worried.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer to do it anyway and I have to assume that you wouldn't be buying a diesel if you were going to do loads of short journeys ether
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Timmos

Post by Timmos »

Thanks

Yes we do perhaps 20 miles every other day and every 4 weeks 350 miles, I possibly will add some DPF cleaner in now and again.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Agree with m@rk - 42K within this period of time is over 1k a month on average - the PDF filter should be fine and doubt the dealer would recommend doing a re-gen, recommending instead, and as you say, just get on with it and drive - also would not bother with cleaners, they can do more harm than good - just do the mile's that's all it needs.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

50k+ miles now and no issues with the DPF on my D4 - Mine generally does a regen once every full tank of fuel (about 400 miles). You will hear when its doing a regen as the engine cooling fan will be on maximum and there is indication of a very hot activity going on. If i hear the fans at full I just let the car tick over until the fan stops its max activity before turning off.
I did have one issue during lockdown (short journeys) where i got an 'oil overfill' issue due to regen fails causing the vehicle to dump small amounts of fuel (usually used in the regen process) into the sump. Volvo at the time did a filter and oil change for me FOC as it was part of a recall to amend the oil management software and adjust the oil capacity from 5.2 litres to 4.7 litres.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

When I had my D3, I used to have a run around 3000rpm for 15 minutes every week or so. This prevented any excess oil reading on the gauge, which did occur when the car was new, and revs were kept low.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Mine used to do it approximately once a month - I was doing ave 50 miles per day - didn’t really notice it, other than the mpg dropped on that journey for no other apparent reason.

If you’re buying from a Volvo dealer, they should have done anything that’s required
Timmos

Post by Timmos »

ACertainAge wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:43 pm When I had my D3, I used to have a run around 3000rpm for 15 minutes every week or so. This prevented any excess oil reading on the gauge, which did occur when the car was new, and revs were kept low.
Thanks

How did you know it was excess oil, i though they didnt have oil stick or was it indicated on the guage and did it pop up on the screen?

Thanks
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

You would get an oil overfill warning on the dash, but if they have reduced a little how much oil goes in the sump at servicing doubt any overfilling will now happen.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Timmos wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:37 pm
ACertainAge wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:43 pm When I had my D3, I used to have a run around 3000rpm for 15 minutes every week or so. This prevented any excess oil reading on the gauge, which did occur when the car was new, and revs were kept low.
Thanks

How did you know it was excess oil, i though they didnt have oil stick or was it indicated on the guage and did it pop up on the screen?

Thanks
HI, deffo notice on screen and possibly gauge showed overfull.