NEW BOY QUESTION...FWD OR AWD??

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ox-Fub

Post by ox-Fub »

Hi all. just venturing into the Volvo Family for the first time. There are a few 2020 XC40 4B Inscription's for sale near me with less than 20K on the clock, I've driven a FWD but have also seen AWD which would be my preference having just had an adaptive AWD Jag.

Q1. For anyone who has a AWD is there a display of power distribution on the infotainment system. The Jag had a graphic which was fun watching the mapping change when you booted it.

Q2. All the reviews I've read don't specify the extra fuel consumption on AWD XC40's. Can anyone tell me the real driving MPG.

Thanks , I'll keep you posted on my purchase in the near future.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

No.
AWD typically expect low to mid 30s as an average and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Enjoy your purchase
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ox-Fub

Post by ox-Fub »

Thanks JFDIT: what MPG can you get tickling your AWD down a motorway on a run?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Being very careful and keeping speed 60ish mid 40's has been possible for me. But if you reckon on being generally careful but not playing dead at the wheel - 39ish
Lincolnshire England.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I would add, we had one member telling us they could achieve 90mpg a while back. Fortunately the authorities took them back to the Home....
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

If you need AWD then AWD is a must have, if you just like the idea of AWD then think why? You will not know the difference in the driving between FWD and AWD, but you will know the difference in MPG, typically 3-5MPG lower for AWD, acceleration FWD is brisker off the mark, less weight and AWD's zap power, and the extra maintenance and purchase costs of AWD - if you need one then you need one, if you just like the idea of one and have no need for one, then its a whole waste of money, something we seem brainwashed to believe we need, and the truth is, most AWD users never encounter the occasions to really use it.
ox-Fub

Post by ox-Fub »

John: I agree with the do you need it point. I only used low friction launch once in 3 years with the Jag. But it cornered much more confidently than my friends RWD ( he couldn't catch me through the lanes 🤣) having had FWD in the past I know it will pull you round giving you more confidence than RWD once you get used to understeer. I guess I shouldn't compare a sports saloon to a SUV.

JFDit: thanks for the MPG.

I'm off to my local dealer the PM, they have used models of FWD and AWD. I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks ALL.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

You said it - if you think you can push an XC40 round a corner in a manor that you feel you need AWD to save the day, you will be on the roof before you know it!!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

AWD, every time for me. Only exception would be a proper sports car, then RWD and a manual box.
Lincolnshire England.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

FWD for me, for the times that AWD would be a benefit, it’s not worth the extra cost and reduced MPG