Start Stop Battery Replacement

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jonathan66

Post by jonathan66 »

On thinking about this, your vehicle may not have the small start/stop battery in the front wing and if so, then above will not apply.
What are the details of your vehicle please?
XC40 Inscription MY2020 D4 AWD

Mooonte

Post by Mooonte »

Hello.

It does have. It's an XC40 D4 AWD 2019/2020.

I did measure the 12,6V directly at the auxiliary battery, after removing the negative pole cable. (I took the hard path of not removing the tire though due to not having the proper space to do so, but I did loosen the wheel arch cover partially to reach my hande on the terminals.)

It's now parked since 16:00. Let's see how it behaves tomorrow at 7:00 and if the pop up still persists.

Wish you a great week ahead!
Mooonte

Post by Mooonte »

Hello all,

Pop-up is still there. I wonder if there's any fuse or something that could be causing the auxiliary battery to be electrically disconnected from the rest of the system?
Does anyone has the wiring diagram of this part? I could do some continuity tests.
And does anyone know what's inside the black plastic box on the cable close to the auxiliary battery negative terminal?

Edit: just checked fuse 54 in the engine compartment fuse box and it's ok.
Mooonte

Post by Mooonte »

Hi again.

Today I spent some more time trying to understand the issue.
I opened the fuse box on top of the main battery and checked all fuses, they are all good.
Then I accessed the auxiliary battery, checked the fuse in the small black box after disconnecting the negative terminal: also good.
Then I disconnected the negative connector on the main battery to reset the system. Waited until the actual voltage dropped below 0,02V.
Removed the aux battery and used a battery tester: tester accused a bad battery.
Connected the battery to a charger, charger took some minutes and said battery was fully charged.
Then used the tester again: still accusing bad battery.
Due to not having another battery available, I've put it back, connected everything, and surprise: the pop-up is gone.
I'll drive a couple of days and see what happens, I assume it will come back again. But now I know the battery is most likely the cause.

20231217_101920.jpg

20231216_150456.jpg

Mooonte

Post by Mooonte »

Some updates: pop-up is not back, even start/stop is working now. So it seems I used a faulty battery tester.