Start Stop Battery Replacement

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jonathan66

Post by jonathan66 »

Hi,
I had the usual symptoms of failed start stop battery when just out of warranty which is frustrating
I wanted to replace it myself but could find nothing on web to say how to gain access to the battery or video of replacement on XC40.
I knew that it is low down at front NS, and eventually found that access is by removing NS front wheel and removing screws for front half of wheel arch liner. (5 torx and 2 10mm hex)
Have replaced with Yuasa of identical electrical and physical specifications but found that the terminals of volvo battery are screwed bolts and standard battery has bolt and captive nut approach.
The volvo battery is therefore an OEM special due to the terminal arrangement.
The negative connector will not fit on standard battery with captive nut approach in the orientation volvo designed, however it will fit if rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise when viewed from above.
To do that I needed to cut back the sheathing around the two wires to extend the separate wire lengths.
So I got there in the end paying £45 for battery at Halfords and not dealer cost of £167.40.
The connections are not marked (which is poor) but once the sheathing is cut back a red wire is exposed (positive).
Old battery was under 11V, so had failed.
On restart with new battery all error messages are gone.
Hope this helps others - it would be good to have a youtube video of this, can't be long before someone obliges.
Having figured it out, the job will be under 1 hour when I have to do it again in 3 more years.
Photo of finished job attached.
Also a photo of the Volvo original borrowed from ebay scrap dealer!

Final fit .jpg

CORRECT POLARITY.jpg

XC40 Inscription MY2020 D4 AWD

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I take my hat off to you, very useful post. Sort of thing I would have had to do as a boy. Happy to have an engine or gearbox out and rebuild it back then. But now? - Barely the enthusiasm to open the bonnet!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Second that, 10/10 for effort and result.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Wow, good job on finding it and managing to sort out fitting 👍🏻
jonathan66

Post by jonathan66 »

Thanks guys,
The only point I missed is the replacement battery code which is YUASA YTS12-BS per photo attached.

20230125_192518.jpg

XC40 Inscription MY2020 D4 AWD
stu22

Post by stu22 »

jonathan66 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm Thanks guys,
The only point I missed is the replacement battery code which is YUASA YTS12-BS per photo attached.
Same battery as my motorbike takes!
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Looking closely at the pics and the two differing types of terminals - can't quite get my head round why you had to snip the terminals, which would always be a last thing you would want to do, also might be a good idea to re-visit the joints and use heat shrink boots, just wrapping them in insulation tape its never a permanent waterproof fix?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

stu22 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:51 am
jonathan66 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm Thanks guys,
Same battery as my motorbike takes!
Yes, same here.

Using as a stop/start battery on a car, no wonder they fail! Are they really man enough?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Are you aware it's not actually used to start the car ? Just powers the lights,media and so on when stopped.
Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

Very useful post, I’ll be doing this when mine fails. And the same battery as my bike.
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.