Extended Warranty after 3 years

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:49 am Our shiny new Laptops on Wheels may well expire before its batteries or even ICE give up!
What can potentially happen in time is software updates becoming unavailable for older cars. As software becomes more and more complex, the first generation microprocessors in old cars won’t be able to handle the new version software in couple of years time. And with the arrival of car software malware those OTA updates will become crucial for car owners.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's another problem I hadn't thought of!!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

From reports I've read manufacturers are using older hardware components, cheaper, which means they will have less ability to deal with the ever hungry software being rolled out. And unlike a desktop PC there appears no hardware upgrade path. Built in redundancy. Examples being Sensus and Fords Sync3 becoming end of life systems overnight.

Of course when these systems merely provided a bit of Navigation and the Radio it didn't matter. But when they control virtually every aspect of the car... it's a rather different issue.......
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Am I correct that Volvo's warranty can only be extended to year four?

That's crazy when BMW offer 10 years comprehensive extended warranty.

Isn't there an insurance backed official Volvo extended warranty to year eight or ten? If not, it doesn't say much for their confidence in their product.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Over time, Volvo had different extended warranty policies, also depending on geographical area. Check with a dealer what’s available today in your country.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

At the Moment all I can find in the UK is a Volvo backed 4th year warranty extension. Which I have taken advantage of.
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Reading back through this thread I agree that cars like these could prematurely reach end of life because of lack of software updates and related issues.

That doesn't bode well for the environment.

I think that some serious thinking needs to be done by manufacturers and governments on this. :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:54 am At the Moment all I can find in the UK is a Volvo backed 4th year warranty extension. Which I have taken advantage of.
You're planning on keeping it that long! :D

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Depends What I'm Allowed to buy by then!
Thank Goodness I live in a free democratic country.
Lincolnshire England.
DJB14

Post by DJB14 »

Just had the 2 tailgate struts replaced on my 3.5 yr old B4 - at a cost of £849! Thank goodness for the extended warranty.