Extended Warranty after 3 years

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
skimm

Post by skimm »

Hello there

My XC40's 3rd birthday is coming up soon. Volvo has kindly reminded me that the standard manufacturer's warranty will expire on that day, and have offered to extend for another year for £407.

In the 3 years of ownership I have had 0 (zero) issues with my car that required a warranty repair. What are the chances that stuff will start to go in the 4th year?

As experienced XC40 owners, do you believe £407 is worth the peace of mind?
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I have Jan-20 T4 FWD and had two problems, both know faults to Volvo and mentioned by others on the forum: support battery and tailgate powered lifters. Both failed under warranty and were replaced for free by Volvo.

There’s no way to know if or when these two potentially defective parts will fail on your car. Only you can decide if £407 is worth or not the extra year peace of mind.
MikeUK

Post by MikeUK »

I have just taken out the extended warranty for the same price. I have had the car from new with no issues but just wanted the peace of mind given the potential cost of some failures.
I did the same thing on a previous BM W X1 and was relieved when it developed some suspension issues that would have left me with £1.5k bill.
Guess it is down to personal choice.
T5 R-Design Pro. Thunder Grey. Xenium, Intellisafe, Convenience, Smart Phone, Wireless Charging, Spare Wheel. Delivered 4 March 2020.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Is the warranty a national Volvo warranty as per original covering the same parts or a Local Dealership job?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
skimm

Post by skimm »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:18 pm Is the warranty a national Volvo warranty as per original covering the same parts or a Local Dealership job?
I went on the website since and turns out this is a third party company, https://carcareplan.com/

Not sure if Volvo offers extended warranty direct. I'll need to look into this
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Would be a good idea if its a Volvo manufactures warranty - but bet its a dealership third party supplied warranty, and if so, would shop around for other quotes.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Volvo do offer their own extended warranties. Ours is only just 1 year old but Volvo have added an extended warranty as part of the compensation package for their mistakes with the order/build of the vehicle.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
MikeUK

Post by MikeUK »

I can confirm that all the paperwork I have been sent for the warranty is from Volvo and the receipt for my payment came fron Volvo Cars Sweden.
T5 R-Design Pro. Thunder Grey. Xenium, Intellisafe, Convenience, Smart Phone, Wireless Charging, Spare Wheel. Delivered 4 March 2020.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I would be happy with a genuine Manufacturers extension but wouldn't touch a 3rd party warranty.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

THird party "warranties" aren't. They are generally "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" and the cover and T's & C's require detail perusal...