Extended Warranty after 3 years

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's an absolutely ridiculous cost! Good that you had it covered.

Fortunately (or should that be unfortunately!) mine failed just under the 3 years and so were replaced under warranty. Took about an hour and so the labour cost wouldn't be too high, so how can they charge so much for the struts!

If they'd failed outside of warranty I would have argued that they are a known defect due to faulty design, as lots of failed and at least have asked them to contribute.

The XC40 is a reasonable cost to buy new as are the services if you take out a plan but outside of those if you have to have work done or buy stuff then they pull your pants down! Why do they think that is Ok, it's a Volvo FFS!

I've said it before, 3 or more owners down the line just won't be able to afford to have faulty parts replaced or repairs carried out. If you buy a Porsche etc. then that's your decision and you have to accept that but for a mid-range family SUV that's not acceptable really.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

gedger

Post by gedger »

It is ridiculous that a component such as strut fails so quickly, I would take them to the small claims court under the sale of goods as not fit for purpose, I don't think anyone could argue that a tailgate strut has a life of less than 5 or 6 years, I've done this a few times and I've never actually needed to complete the form...

You can buy the struts for £240 each so £849 fitted is also taking the p-ss!
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It’s a design flaw allowing water to sip into the strut, rusting the components and resulting in failure. Volvo changed the design in 2022. Since it was not affecting driving safety it did not qualify for a recall. More details here: viewtopic.php?t=3207
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

DJB14 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:43 pm Just had the 2 tailgate struts replaced on my 3.5 yr old B4 - at a cost of £849! Thank goodness for the extended warranty.

That’s a concern and a horrendous cost. My car is also 3.5 years old, what are the signs of this issue l have no extended warranty, so if happens to my car, will be using the forum as evidence this is an inherent defect.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Stovo - have a read of the link posted by Eugen.

The originals were a "cheap" and flawed design that should never have been fitted in the first place.

The replacements and ones now fitted as standard are metal cased rather than plastic and look to be more robust.

Unfortunately I think it will just be a matter of time before yours fail.

I've got this theory that manufacturers deliberately over price parts so that in the event of them making a "goodwill gesture" it still doesn't cost them anything as there is such a huge mark up.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:40 am The replacements and ones now fitted as standard are metal cased rather than plastic and look to be more robust.
Mines a 2023 car and it still has the plastic cased struts!!
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:13 am Mines a 2023 car and it still has the plastic cased struts!!
That’s unfortunate. It seems Volvo decided to deplete the old strut stock instead of scraping it. If the car is kept in a covered place out of rain it can take a long time for the strut to fail. You could ask your dealer while under warranty to replace these faulty designed struts.
gedger

Post by gedger »

I'll mention it when it goes in for the O ring recall to see what sort of response I get....

I have a friend with a 1998 V70XC which has now done nearly 200k and has very very little go wrong with it, I'd hoped to be able to keep my XC40 for 10 years plus but perhaps it will become uneconomical well before then, time will tell....
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

gedger wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:13 am
ChrisLF wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:40 am The replacements and ones now fitted as standard are metal cased rather than plastic and look to be more robust.
Mines a 2023 car and it still has the plastic cased struts!!
Mine were replaced over 12 months ago, so 2022, and by then the upgraded struts were being fitted to new cars so why not to yours?

Just a thought though, does yours have the powered lift tailgate as that is what we are referring to?

As we've mentioned elsewhere I think it's things like software that are going to be the stumbling block to keeping the cars for a long time.

Also I had an issue with the driver display quite a few months ago when it went completely blank a few times. Disconcerting as you lose everthing. Fortunately it sorted itself out and never did it again. Car was out of warranty and I hate to think how much it would have cost to fix.
Last edited by ChrisLF on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gedger

Post by gedger »

OK, I hang my head in shame and apologies to Volvo...I've just checked the linked thread and been out to double check and they are in fact metal! They are covered in fine dust which made me think it was static on plastic but they are cold to the touch so definitely the later pattern, I'll get my coat....