Confused about engine and transmission options

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
thepiman

Post by thepiman »

I've wanted an XC40 for a long time. I have finally decided to go for one! I'm looking for a second hand model with less than 25000 miles on it. So now the choice of engine and transmission. Normally that is easy for me: I read the whatcar.com reviews and pick their best recommended petrol in a manual. Whatcar recommends the D4. I am instinctively inclined against diesels for the bad environmental credentials and all the post dieselgate litigation that's around. However, I might be persuaded to overlook my instincts on the basis that the limited research I've done suggests all Volvo XC40s (at least all 2018 and later models) are Euro 6 compliant and so they appear to be okay environmentally. But foregoing my desire for a manual is not really an option. I don't see the point in paying extra for a computer that takes away some of the pleasure of changing gears; I have always loved manuals and won't drive an auto until I have to (I believe all fully electric cars are autos and it looks like that is the way the market is going).

The petrol T3 seems underpowered to me.

The D4 is only available as an automatic, so that's a no. I believe the T5 is also only available as an automatic.

Am i missing something, or does Volvo not really cater for a petrolhead like me? Incidentally, this website provides a good summary of the transmission and engine types available: https://www.buyacar.co.uk/volvo/xc40/xc ... l%20engine.

Perhaps I should get the T3 and pay to get it upgraded with the polestar software upgrade - is that even possible?

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

T4 and use the paddle gear change 🤔
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Unfortunately it is not possible to polestar a T3 model , the manual restricts your choice, if I could suggest you try a T4 that has a Torque converter auto box, I moved from a T3 manual to a B4 auto and it’s fine for me , but I did want an Auto.The T4 has a 2.0l engine and a bit more poke than the T3.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You should be aware that T3 1.5 liter petrol is a 3 cylinder engine. If you insist on manual gearbox and want more torque then D3 with 2.0 liter 4 cylinder diesel engine could be a better choice.
thepiman

Post by thepiman »

Thanks for these quick responses. A couple of questions:

1) What's a auto with paddle shifters like to drive - anybody have real world experience? Does it behave like a manual, the only difference being one shifts with one's index fingers rather than with one's hand?

2) @eugen61 you suggest a 4 cylinder diesel engine. Is that a D4 then? But that doesn't solve my manual requirement.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

thepiman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:48 am @eugen61 you suggest a 4 cylinder diesel engine. Is that a D4 then? But that doesn't solve my manual requirement.
D3 and D4 have the same 2.0 l 4 cylinder diesel engine but with different output, 150 hp for D3 and 190 hp for D4.
Only D3 is available with manual gearbox.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

thepiman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:48 am What's an auto with paddle shifters like to drive - anybody have real world experience? Does it behave like a manual, the only difference being one shifts with one's index fingers rather than with one's hand?
For me, manual driving experience was about using and synchronizing both feet with the hand off the wheel on the shift leaver. So the obvious difference in an auto, there’s no clutch and you use only one foot for driving. I never felt the need to manually shift the TC8 auto gearbox in my XC40, I just let the car choose the right gear.
Last edited by eugen61 on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepiman

Post by thepiman »

D3 and D4 have the same 2.0 l 4 cylinder diesel engine but with different output, 150 hp for D3 and 190 hp for D4.
Only D3 is available with manual gearbox.

That's helpful, thanks. So I guess it's a question of whether I'm happy to compromise on hp in favour of manual and go for the T3 1.5litre petrol which only has 163hp, or get the D4 for the extra hp. The D4 is significantly punchier, but I can't help thinking that automatic will annoy me. Both my wife and I have always driven manuals, except occasionally when renting a car in the USA on holiday, where they are always automatics.

Has anybody converted from manual to auto and never looked back? Although whatcar.com's long term review of the D4 was positive, even they commented on the "rather slow-witted automatic gearbox that frequently lets the engine rev higher than it needs to and perhaps goes some way to explaining my disappointing 35.6mpg average fuel economy."
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I drove manuals for over 50 years except on business trips to USA and Australia, always petrol. I gave a lot of thought to my XC40 and eventually went for the B4 with torque converter auto and, after nearly two years, am very happy with my choice. Would I go back? Probaby not, it's a much more relaxed driving experience although, as someone else has mentioned, there are odd occasions when it seems to struggle to find the correct gear. I was expecting around 35 mpg but, driving with a light foot, I have averaged a real-world 40+mpg over 21,000 miles from new.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've driven Manuals, DCT and TC Autos for many years switching happily between the two without issue.
If it's a "Fast" car that "Handles" then I prefer manual or DCT with paddles. If it's a big car with lots of CC's then probably a TC auto. For most "Modern" small engined vehicles (I'd include 2lt in this) then for me an Oil rather than Dry DCT feels nice, with quicker shifts feeling more like a clutch change (probably because it has a physical clutch!) and generally a bit better fuel economy.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.