Brake surge/ not smooth.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

Hi all

Still very new to the Volvo game.

Mostly enjoy driving my XC40, it may only be the lowly T3 auto but it goes OK.

I have noticed when I am slowing down to a roundabout or junction from a slow ish speed say 30 but driving very gently so just applying very light pressure to the brake pedal to slow the car. As it gets closer to a stop it feels a little odd like either the brakes are pulsing or the car is surging forward.
Not a lot I can just feel it through the car that it does not slow super smoothly once it gets real slow.

The brakes will pull up quickly and do an emergency stop it's when I'm braking really light I can feel it.

Anyone else feel this? It just feels like I can't bring it to a silky smooth stop.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Might be worth checking with your dealer what software version your car is running, AndyN. There have been updates that improve the brake feel (they are detailed on the Volvo Support website). Updates are done when your car is serviced so if it hasn't been in for a while, it might be it can be improved.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
stu22

Post by stu22 »

I always found it difficult to modulate the brakes on our old T3, never found out why.....
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

As Sherwood said, this thread might carry the answer viewtopic.php?t=2997
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I've never noticed any issue with the brakes, nor any change following any software update.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I found myself in the first week of ownership being a "bit surprised" by the brakes, slowing down at higher speeds, but feeling like you were going to over-run onto roundabouts... I now don't notice it, but in other cars I find myself braking more sharply ...
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

This had its 2nd serviced the week before I collected it from the dealer. I have asked this question on here before but how do you know if they have don't any updates?

The dealer originally forgot to stamp the service book so I got them to post me some proof it had been done then I can take it to their more local branch and get the book stamped.

On the invoice they sent through it lists all the stuff they did and replaced but does not say anything about software update.
Is this normaly listed?
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
jeffersonlacosta

Post by jeffersonlacosta »

AndyN wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:23 pm Hi all

Still very new to the Volvo game.

Mostly enjoy driving my XC40, it may only be the lowly T3 auto but it goes OK.

I have noticed when I am slowing down to a roundabout or junction from a slow ish speed say 30 but driving very gently so just applying very light pressure to the brake pedal to slow the car. As it gets closer to a stop it feels a little odd like either the brakes are pulsing or the car is surging forward.
Not a lot I can just feel it through the car that it does not slow super smoothly once it gets real slow.

The brakes will pull up quickly and do an emergency stop it's when I'm braking really light I can feel it.

Anyone else feel this? It just feels like I can't bring it to a silky smooth stop.
Did you ever find a solution for this?