Tow Hook Eye Cover

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
tron20

Post by tron20 »

Hi all

First time post! Took delivery of my T4 PHEV last Tuesday however over past few days have noticed that the tow hook eye cover has come off the front.

I just wondered if this was likely to be a common fault of not being secured properly or (more likely) nabbed by someone for an unknown reason!

Also - if this has happened to you, where did you source a replacement? Main dealer?

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

nope 20 months in and still there. Either nicked or not fitted firmly enough. I'd try the dealer first, claim it wasn't fitted tightly enough.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

From the factory, these covers are usually a tight fit needing quite a firm pressure to pop them out for the first time, so it does beg the question, has yours needed to be towed for some reason?
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I lost the front one a couple of years ago. Not sure how. Only noticed it missing a few days after the car had been parked in a forest car park. I don’t know if a stray branch may have knocked it out. No sign of any damage to the surrounding area.

Tried the internet without success for a replacement. Eventually ordered via the dealer. Wasn’t cheap and had to be ordered. Took about a week to be posted to me and was a perfect colour match.

I’ve had no further issues since.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
como

Post by como »

Mine went missing the week before Christmas. Approximately £35 for the, unpainted, replacement plus the cost of painting to add. I can't say for sure that it was not stolen but I have a dashcam that detects movement in front of the car when parked and also CCTV at work and home. The day it went missing nobody was anywhere near the car. I'm guessing they pop out of their own accord, so when I fit the replacement I am going to try and fit some sort of lanyard to keep the blank attached if it pops out.
T3 Auto R Design Pro, Thunder Grey, MY2022
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Fitting a lanyard to throw replacement is exactly what I did.
It’s easy to use a length of nylon cord and some stick on fixings to attach it with both to the cover and on the inside of the bumper..
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Joe Ruddy

Post by Joe Ruddy »

Mine popped out after the first couple of days whilst driving on the motorway. The dealer wasnt prepared to replace for free, so I've left it off until I want to replace the vehicle. It's really annoying that Volvo don't secure the cover with a plastic band through the loophole that exists in the hole. Cutting costs I expect. I've made sure the rear one is secure though. A Volvo salesman told me that when the cars arrive from the factory on tow lorries they are attached securely using the front tow bar. It's not unusual then for the cover to be incorrectly fitted back in by dealership staff. I was quoted around £115 for a new one painted in the correct colour.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

So you brought a car from this dealer, and in the first couple of days, this part fell off and this dealer said no to replacing it and quoted you £115 to replace it. Outrageous, I would talk to Volvo UK as they are likely to help them change their minds - I have just tried to pop the cover out and it's not easy and it goes back with a firm click - I think there may be some truth to what you say about the dealer having to put them back during the PDI process? In which case its even more of an insult, and a nice little earner??