XC 40 B5 AWD Plus stop safely power steering failure

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
lac

Post by lac »

I purchased a 2023 XC40 mini hybrid on 12/7/22. I thought I was purchasing one of the safest cars on the market, until a few days ago, when I tried to start the car and failed. The warning: "Stop Safely Power Steering Failure" flashed across the panel. I shut off the car to restart, with success. But it has happened 3 times. I brought it in to be diagnosed and after 2 days of diagnostic testing, I was told that it needs a new "rack," which is being flown over from Sweden. An engineer and master technician will install at Bethesda Volvo Service Center in MD. I am extremely concerned for my safety as well as the quality of the brand. Not what I expected from a Volvo. I stepped up from the Mazda CX-5. Has anyone else had such an experience? And, is this problematic with the model? I know the electrical and computer systems are complex, but I never thought a brand new car would require a major overhaul. I don't know if I will ever feel safe behind the wheel of such a car.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I've been here for 18 months plus, and I don't think I recall this issue ever being reported here. Obviously with any modern vehicle there can be more random failures. I had a Battery Control Module failure in July this year which was diagnosed with the dealer (Lookers Colchester, who were also excellent), Volvo UK and Volvo Sweden, and required the BCM to be shipped from Sweden, which happened really quickly.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

I would not worry too much, this will be a parts failure, which happens, and is not a generic fault of the steering. Once replace doubt you will have anymore problems, at least in this area. Had to smile when you said you "stepped up from the Mazda CX-5" to an XC40 - maybe this perception has not helped in making you "extremely concerned", because against a Mazda CX-5, at best its a sideways move, and for reliability maybe even a downward move??
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Also, from the safety comment you made, it clearly warned you before you drove away so was indeed safe.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Car warns you of failure. Garage confirms failure yet you are concerned about safety of car…hmmmm.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Basilisksnow

Post by Basilisksnow »

Hmm - my car B4 AWD is 2 months old and I have also seen this message two or three times - it seemed to go away when restarting the car and steering seems mostly fine so had not been too worried however maybe I should now book it in
Devonal

Post by Devonal »

When my B4 ultimate M2023 was two weeks old in October I had that message. Car had done about 100 miles. Switched off, started again and everything was fine. Not seen that message since and certainly no steering issues. Assume it was just a temporary software glitch.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Maybe its best practice to always inform your dealership of error messages like this, and let them decide what to do, but at least then it should be also logged on the system?
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

John wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:39 am against a Mazda CX-5, at best its a sideways move
If people were prepared to pay XC40 money for a CX-5, then it would be a sideways move. But people won't pay that price premium for a Mazda. Nothing against Mazda, good luck to them, but at the moment they can only dream of price parity with Volvo, and they're competing against different brands. I'm not sure they really even want to break into the premium end of the market - they've got a nice little niche carved out for themselves already.
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

I've had this happen a couple of times on mine 2023 B4 FWD - mentioned it to the dealer and they'd seen it a few times. When it's happened it usually also shows the collision system message too.

Switching the car ond off again seemed to clear it - haven't seen it since the car was upgraded to software v2.4 and now v2.5 is installed and still not seen it.

Screenshot_20221222-202726_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221222-202707_Gallery.jpg