8 Speed AWD Vs 7 Speed FWD

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Has anyone gone from a B4P 8 Speed AWD to the B4P 7 Speed FWD? If so what difference did you notice in how it drove and performed?
Thanks
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Devonal

Post by Devonal »

I had a AWD inscription and loved it, except it was heavy on petrol and more expensive to insure. Now driving M23 FWD, feels lighter and I think is a quieter smoother ride. The AWD has a more confident grip in certain conditions as you would expect. On balance I do prefer the AWD to drive, but if motoring cost is a factor the FWD is a more sensible option. The M23 FWD is a pleasant and comfortable ride and performance is excellent. More than adequate for most, so I wouldn’t bother with AWD unless it is essential for you.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Cost isn't a consideration, just AWD no longer available. I want to buy a petrol engined car to keep a good few years given electric vehicles aren't there yet. My choice is the B4P XC40 Ultimate or the BMW X1 23i AWD. Suspect the Volvo would be more reliable and the BMW more fun!
Lincolnshire England.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Suspect the Volvo would be more reliable and the BMW more fun!
Volvo do have a well earned reputation for solidity and reliability. I’ve owned a total of 7 Volvos since the mid 90s. Never had a single problem with any of them, until I got the XC40. Nothing major, but it had to go in to have the sunroof drain hoses fixed when it was six months old, and the build quality is nowhere near what I’ve had in the past. It has more squeaks and rattles than any car I’ve ever owned in 50 years of motoring. Many of the threads on this forum would suggest that most XC40 problems are related to batteries, electronics, and software. The XC40 is by no means a bad car, but I personally wouldn’t buy another. I’d certainly consider another XC60 though, if my meagre pension will stretch.

I’ve no experience of the 7 speed box, but I have driven AWD and FWD. The only difference I found was pulling away swiftly from a junction, the front wheels can sometimes scramble slightly on FWD. Other than that, I didn’t notice any difference in day to day driving.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Thanks for the feedback.My CbV B4P AWD has been faultless for the past year.
Just ordered the B4P Ultimate with leather in Crystal White. It'll be the MY24 with Delivery by middle of next year, probably. Reckon Volvo aren't far off stopping production of mild hybrids. I recall they sold off their engine production facility recently, so thought it best to get one before it's too late.
Lincolnshire England.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Just ordered the B4P Ultimate
Glad you were able to get one ordered. The B4P is a very refined engine.

When I was sat in my dealership showroom last week waiting for my car to be serviced, there was a young couple looking around the XC40s. They enquired about placing an order and were told that “we’re not taking any orders at the moment due to the uncertainty of delivery times”. Interestingly the same showroom told me exactly the same thing 12 months ago which is why I went to another dealer 60 miles away to buy my XC40.

They still have the exact same 71 reg cars on display in the showroom as they did when I went there last year, which are no longer available anyway. I can only assume that they’ve given up selling new cars so they can concentrate leasing cars, or selling used cars at highly inflated prices.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Devonal

Post by Devonal »

My one month old ultimate would not unlock this morning and recovery called. The car was completely dead, jump leads used, car started, but when the leads were removed the car started on its own. Then I had a series of warning messages coming up one after another on the screen. Tried to drive it but it switched to tortoise mode about 2 mph. Switched off, car restarted just fine, driving normally, but then up pops a message that the car needed to be taken in. Now with the dealer. Young chap in the garage said it was most definitely a software issue. Hope this is not the start of problems with this car, my older 21 inscription was never any trouble.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I used Carwow, got significant discount. No build date but got the factory order form for a MY24 car.
Lincolnshire England.
Devonal

Post by Devonal »

Re my previous post, advised by the dealer that the car has been trying to download and install new software but it became stuck. This drained the battery!!! Now sorted.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Guess that's a drawback of unsupervised OTA updates. But perhaps not surprising.
Did they tell you how to force a software rollback and restart download? Maybe just hold the centre console button down for 30 seconds?
Lincolnshire England.