auto-brake when reversing far too sensitive

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

Just taken delivery of a new XC40 B4 Plus Mild Hybrid with Android OS.

Was reversing down the driveway and the Rear Auto Brake (RAB) slammed on the brakes so hard that I thought I had hit something. The jolt was so hard it hurt my neck despite only travelling a few miles per hour. There was no good reason the system should have activated, and no prior warning sounds that I remember. I see the system can be turned off on a per drive basis, but that is far from ideal.

Having researched this issue, it seems many are very unhappy with the system being far too sensitive.

Would be interested if others on this forum are having issues with this?
XC40 MY23 B4P Plus AWD 7 Speed Auto AAOS

Joss

Post by Joss »

Yes my p8 does it regularly there is a slight slope from my drive to the road and the auto brake sensor quite often picks up the kerb on the other side of the road. As you say it is a real pain to remember to turn them off every time.
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

My P8 is just the same. There is a very slight upwards incline to our drive and unless you are hardly moving when reversing out of the garage it interprets the slope as an obstruction. Gave me quite a shock the first time it happened. Having said that it has warned me twice about lunatics racing round a car park when i was reversing out of a space sorts not all bad.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will need to remember to turn the system off when reversing down the drive.

Hopefully the system detection will be optimised by a software update at some point in the future.
XC40 MY23 B4P Plus AWD 7 Speed Auto AAOS
Drbhob

Post by Drbhob »

Had my first experience of that yesterday, reversing into a instavolt charging bay, system mistakenly thought the kerb was an obstacle, the sudden braking felt and sounded like I had hit something, even though I was barely moving. Major negative for me.