Driving License Expiry Warning

The place to discuss everything else..
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Earlier this week I was planning a last minute trip to Portugal. When booking my car hire on line, I needed to provide details of my driving license. That’s when I saw that my license had expired a month ago. I immediately applied for a new license on line which I’m hoping will arrive in time for our trip.

What I didn’t know is that the penalty for not renewing your photo ID Is a fine of up to £1,000 plus 6 penalty points. That’s a pretty severe punishment for not realising your license has expired.

I’m sure there are many people who know the precise date their driving license expires, or check it on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I’m not one of them. The DVLA website states “You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends” - I didn’t receive a reminder, so don’t rely on that.

If I hadn’t been planning a trip, I wouldn’t have found out. I’ve now put a reminder on my phone calendar for the next time it needs renewing. Don’t get caught out; check it now and set a reminder.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Don't you get a letter anymore reminding you that your licence is about to expire? I've received one in the past.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

The DVLA website states that you will receive a reminder in the post, but I definitely didn’t. Hence the problem.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Have you moved house since the licence was issued?
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

No blastpipe, I’ve lived at this address for the past 30 years.

In my original post I wrote:
The DVLA website states “You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends” - I didn’t receive a reminder, so don’t rely on that.
The point being, don’t rely on the reminder letter from the DVLA because, like me, you might not get one. It doesn’t matter why I didn’t receive the reminder; I was just trying to warn others to check theirs. The penalties for not renewing are huge.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Given that warning I've added the expiry date of my DL to the calendar on my phone.

Worth writing to your MP I reckon KeithR56.

Sounds like it was time DVLA was privatised. That would reduce the civil service head count quickly.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Makes me glad I’ve still got the ‘original’ paper licence - 1 less thing to forget 😆
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

KeithR56 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:23 pm Earlier this week I was planning a last minute trip to Portugal. When booking my car hire on line, I needed to provide details of my driving license. That’s when I saw that my license had expired a month ago. I immediately applied for a new license on line which I’m hoping will arrive in time for our trip.

What I didn’t know is that the penalty for not renewing your photo ID Is a fine of up to £1,000 plus 6 penalty points. That’s a pretty severe punishment for not realising your license has expired.

I’m sure there are many people who know the precise date their driving license expires, or check it on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I’m not one of them. The DVLA website states “You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends” - I didn’t receive a reminder, so don’t rely on that.

If I hadn’t been planning a trip, I wouldn’t have found out. I’ve now put a reminder on my phone calendar for the next time it needs renewing. Don’t get caught out; check it now and set a reminder.
I use the "Caura" App on my iPhone. Free to use and Government approved and linked to the DVLA (password protected). Once you set up the App with car reg and insurance details the App syncs with the DVLA and will remind you of MOT, Insurance, Tax and Driving Licence renewals. Available on the iOS App store but I guess it will also be on the Android app store too.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I use the "Caura" App on my iPhone
That sounds like a useful app. I’ll have a look for it later. Does it allow you to put more than one car on?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

blastpipe wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:07 am Given that warning I've added the expiry date of my DL to the calendar on my phone.

Worth writing to your MP I reckon KeithR56.

Sounds like it was time DVLA was privatised. That would reduce the civil service head count quickly.
Yes everything improves when they are privatised. Just going for a swim in the sea (must remember to keep my mouth shut 🤐 ). I tend to go at night as I can’t afford to put the lights on in the house
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras