Paint vs poop

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Just back from holiday and car has been crapped on by birds. Before I went away, I used Autoglym ceramic seal on the paintwork to protect it. Having carefully cleaned off the poop, the paint has bubbled nicely and is now a mess. Paint renovator has had little effect.
I am concerned that Volvo paint is far too soft.
Would a professional ceramic coat prevent the damage?
Last edited by Bocca70 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Ours has a professional ceramic coating. Had bird poo on the bonnet for a few hours in the hot weather. Carefully washed off. No bubbling but there is definite deterioration in the paint finish. All cars these days have eco friendly water based paint. Thats fine but it does get damaged much more easily.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Autoglym do a new product for bird poop, so could be worth a look at.

I’ve had good success with Meguiars ultimate compound, if my polished don’t touch the etching caused…

Don’t go at it like a bull in a china shop, several goes if required is best…
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Thanks for the advice. Disappointing results from ceramic coating. I was considering having it done but not sure now.
Spare wheel cover

Snow man

Post by Snow man »

We had the Supagaurd ceramic coating done by Volvo when we bought ours,used the bird poo remover that came with the car,no marking on our Thunder Grey,I do wash it with Autoglym polar wash and polar seal,water does bead up so maybe that helps seal the paint,
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Thanks. I also use Polar wash and seal. I don’t think it’s helped that the heat and lack of rain baked it on.
Spare wheel cover

goldy

Post by goldy »

I had mine professionally coated first day of ownership and it cost a fortune. Would I have it done again, absolutely not. Would have been quicker and as much use as putting my cash down the grid.
IMO ultra HD wash gives better results,the beading and sheeting is the best I've seen.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've had my CbV XC40 washed twice in 10 months at the local hand wash and the paintwork is fine.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:27 pm I've had my CbV XC40 washed twice in 10 months at the local hand wash and the paintwork is fine.
You are very lucky. I’ve seen our local hand wash guys drop cloths on the ground and just pick it up and continue washing the car.
Spare wheel cover

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Bird lime is nasty on modern paint, and different colours seems to influence the extent, have seen bird lime cause a wrinkle effect on black and virtually no effect on white - Volvo paint seems to be a medium hardness paint, which is the better to have - just don't park under tree's and remove any bird-lime as soon as you can - and as for those had-wash facilities, the same sponge's used on all those different cars probably gathering all that grit from each - next please - and now swirling perhaps like a micro-diamond cutting tool on your precious paint work - no thanks ;)