Brake discs excessive wear ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
@oldie, you’re probably right but I’m thinking along the lines that if they have lost x amount of material after 6000 miles what will they be like after 12k or 18k, might be near the thickness limit? And if they were I would still argue that they were not fit for purpose.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I fully understand what you are saying and why - but they are viewed as consumables and some will take pads and discs to 40k and beyond while others will be spent at 15k - and in my opinion the party-line is all too often, "discs and brake pad wear is dependent on your driving style Sir and why the wear rate is not covered under warranty Sir" ;)
goldy

Post by goldy »

My last 3 cars had between 25/30000 miles on the clock when they went and all their brake pads were almost like new. It all down to driving style.
Watch how the front of lots of cars dip at junctions and traffic lights ect because of unnecessary heavy breaking.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
@goldy, understand what you are saying and agree, heavy on the gas heavy on the brakes , it’s the discs that have caught my attention I don’t know what the brake pads are like. I am retired so no commuting or driving in heavy traffic so based on that I believe I am pretty light on the car, would be interesting to see the state of the discs and pads if a spirited driver was behind the wheel .
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Oldie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:49 am I fully understand what you are saying and why - but they are viewed as consumables and some will take pads and discs to 40k and beyond while others will be spent at 15k - and in my opinion the party-line is all too often, "discs and brake pad wear is dependent on your driving style Sir and why the wear rate is not covered under warranty Sir" ;)
If I needed new discs at 40k I would be talking to lawyers - in fact I would be very unhappy if there was any significant disc wear after such a short distance - the whole point of the pads is that they are what wears. I normally keep a car for around 4 years and have never been close to needing the pads changing, let alone the discs. Admittedly my mileage is less now than it used to be (retirement benefits) , but in the past I used to do 10-12k a year. Certainly anyone would have difficulty blaming my driving style!
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Indeed I guess many would be shocked at the need to replace discs at 40k - but it's not unheard of - pads, discs, clutches etc are consumables that are not under warranty so any gesture to replace FOC would always be a good will gesture regardless of any lawyer intervention??
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I see what is meant by excessive disc wear. I've done about 13k. and am light on the brakes and having a look this morning found a pronounced ridge on both front and rear. Checked my TT (Yes, I know it's much smaller and lighter but it is a sports car!) and there are barely any ridges at almost an identical mileage.

I've only had discs replaced once in over 50 years of driving and it was questionable if they needed replacing. They were on a Peugeot 309 Gti and the dealer had me over a barrel as the car was in for a service and MOT before a trip to France.

We intend on keeping the XC40, currently 3 years old, and I won't be happy having to have the discs replaced prematurely.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It's quite common now for the friction material to be quite hard and the rotor softer so they wear out at the same pace. So it's a pads and discs replacement rather than just pads.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I had a Seat Exeo for over 59k miles from 2009, that had front pads at 20k, front pads and disks and rear pads at 40k, and would have had front pads and rear pads and disks at 60k... AS I recall pads and disks were about £100 (SEAT dealer) and pads about £30
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Wouldn't mind so much if those for the XC40 were a reasonable price but I'm guessing they're going to be an arm and a leg?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.