Info entertainment Google Upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been spoken about before - I couldn't see it listed anywhere.

Is it possible to retrofit/upgrade to the newer Google based info-entertainment system? i.e. system in the new XC40.

Cheers
Ian.
Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription Recharge (PHEV) in Glacier Silver

stu22

Post by stu22 »

Highly unlikely, if not impossible - it interfaces with all of the car systems so would be a major strip and rebuild.....
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

More to the point, the hardware on current models won't run Android....
Jnr

Post by Jnr »

While Volvo probably won't upgrade from Sensus to Google systems just to be able to sell more cars, the claims that current models can't run Android are false. Sensus already is an older version of Android open source project, just without any real support from Goolge, so if Volvo wanted to, they could easily make them more up to date.

Maybe they do run on a bit older processors with less memory available but looking at what Android modders are able to achieve on older Android phones and tablets, I would not be surprised if Sensus systems would be able to handle newer Android versions without any issues.

If it was easy to access and dump the memory (for backup) of current infotainment system, there would be plenty of people who would try and mod it.

Actually there is an XDA forum post for modding older (10 years+ old) Sensus Android systems, where they even got Play Store and Waze running on it for a while, until the older Android API's were discontinued. For XC40 and other newer Volvos with those big touch screen panels, it should probably be able to handle newer Android versions as well.

But if you want a real continuous software support, don't go with Volvo, buy a Tesla instead.