Roadside failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

The 2CV really was an amazing car - and don't get me started on the DS... Back then, Citroen really did things their own way. If I had unlimited time and resources (ha!), I think I'd try to run a DS as my other daily driver... 8-)

I know this is getting a bit off topic, but hey, we all like cars, or we wouldn't be here. Moss, you reminded me of my own student days here in the Czech Republic (still Czechoslovakia at that time), when I was the proud owner of one of these beasts:

skoda 120.jpeg

A Škoda 120, in all its glory - possibly one of the worst cars ever produced, and a shining example of why a command economy is not a good idea :D Mine was a similar colour, but it had more rust than the one in the photo, which gave it "character". Oh, and it had four cylinders, but none of them were very good ;)

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Back then cars were very basic and mainly predictable to fix, but do have to say, the Skoda 120, the only car I ever worked on that had all it needed to start - fuel, spark, compression etc - I mean everything it needed - and it still would not start :lol:
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

At the risk of fanning the flames, I remember when I discovered my new BMW had a 4 cylinder engine rather than the traditional 6 - how could you expect a poor turbocharged 4 cyl to do the work of a good sturdy 6?
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

The BMW 6s were lovely engines.
Clearly a 3 or 4 pot can be boosted to the power of any larger engine, but they cannot produce the same "feeling" and "delivery" of a 6 or an 8 or a 10 or a 12 pot. Simple fact.
But if you're happy thrumming around in a 3 pot then it doesn't matter to you. But, regrettably for me, I'm not so that's why all the current legislation causing the demise of real ICE engines is particularly depressing for me.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

I must agree with pwIiv & JFDIT- when BMW dropped the 6 for the 4 all enthusiasts went :shock: - but the best 6-pots are when they are a V6 - then the inherent uneven character of a 3-pot is fully canceled out by the other bank of 3, which made them so sweet and super smooth 8-)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Sorry @Oldie, you are incorrect on this occasion. Straight sixes are the smoothest not V6s
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Didn't work on straight 6's as they were the wrong shape to fit in trophy cars, only worked on V6's, which could be tuned to perfection and again they were so super smooth - happy of course to bow to your knowledge that the smoothest of the two is a straight six as I guess they also did not need balance shafts :) .
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Always loved the Volvo 5 cylinder myself,had two C70s,one the soft top and one the cabriolet and the V40 D3 😋
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

3 cylinders has been a great configuration in motorcycle engines for many years as they are characterful and a good compromise between torque and power. With motorbikes fewer cylinders usually equates to more torque, probably because you have a bigger piston or pistons providing the shove - let's not get into that though!

I've had a number over the years, mainly Triumph, and still have one and the engine is lovely and sounds great.

But like others I wouldn't have one in a car. 4 cylinders as a minimum as well. It's partly because I don't really want to go below 2.0 litres, particularly in something like an XC40 (though I was considering a 1.5 Karoq if VWG hadn't cocked up the early engines) as I like effortless performance. Maybe if they made a 2.0 litre 3 cylinder at some point.

And like others this was after experiencing a 3 cylinder. In my case a Ford SUV of some sort as a hire car in France. With 5 adults and luggage it performed pretty well, though it had to be revved and we weren't in hilly terrain. In my book a 1.0 is just too small for an SUV however good the engine is.

For now I'm perfectly happy with the 2.0 litre turbos in both cars and will just wait to see what the future brings.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
morganj

Post by morganj »

Perhaps I’m going to throw fuel on the fire here.

But I came to the Xc40 T5 Recharge from a A6 3L TDi (v6) via a Porsche Cayenne S (4,5L v8) and was highly surprised by its capability and drivability.

Perhaps in my case it’s the addition of hybrid and a turbo but the motor in the Volvo delivers much better response and enjoyment (except for the lack of NA v8 sound) than I was expecting.

Torque is higher than the Cayenne (overall HP lower of course) but 1,5L at 262 PS vs 4,5L at 340 PS is quite a feat of engineering. Not to mention needing to move almost 500Kg less 😀

Added bonus I’m now averaging 5L/100Km vs 24L/100Km
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist