Dashcam - Again!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

I thought I should share my recent experience with the purchase and installation of a Nextbase 422GW Dashcam and rear dashcam. Apologies for the length of the post but I hope it may help to dispel any doubts. ;)

There are many posts on this subject which left me a tad nervous of installing one but with the increasingly lunatic antics by some pedestrians and motorists on the road I decided to go ahead. I checked with my Volvo dealership servicing department who informed me that Volvo had recently updated its advice and now said dashcams can be installed. The dealership also quoted £197.00 +VAT to install it which is a bit rich considering you can have the Volvo (purchased and fitted) approved dashcam for around £280. Nextbase fitting is £89 and includes the wiring harness.

The cameras were fitted by Nextbase's fitting service - RC Connect - initially to a non permanent live feed (which prevented parking mode) so the fitter came back and made a permanent live connection to the under passenger seat fuse box. However, the rear camera stopped the DAB radio working as the DAB aerial is incorporated in the rear windscreen. I disconnected the rear camera and DAB came back on. The fitter came back and removed the rear camera and wiring after trying many solutions for two hours (four ferrite cores!). His technical line manager sent out a RC Connect WhatsApp Group question and almost immediately two fitters based in the Midlands came back to say they had experienced the same problem with an XC40.

Nextbase has taken the rear camera back (pre-paid Royal Mail 48 hours tracking label) and is issuing a refund. Nextbase is also changing the purchasing process to advise XC40 owners making an online purchase of the front/rear combo that the rear camera is incompatible with an XC40. So all in all a good outcome with outstanding customer and technical support from both companies.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

PC40

Post by PC40 »

I had a Nextbase 322GW and rear camera fitted by Halfords nearly 3 years ago. The cameras work perfectly and DAB works well for most radio stations. There were initially a few issues with DAB reception but these were sorted with a bit of adjustment and possibly a ferrite core, As the installation was a while ago I cannot remember the details and all cables were very neatly hidden so it’s not easy to have a look..
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

PC40 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:51 pm I had a Nextbase 322GW and rear camera fitted by Halfords nearly 3 years ago. The cameras work perfectly and DAB works well for most radio stations. There were initially a few issues with DAB reception but these were sorted with a bit of adjustment and possibly a ferrite core, As the installation was a while ago I cannot remember the details and all cables were very neatly hidden so it’s not easy to have a look..
I am very pleased to learn it worked for you. The fitter had 4 ferrite cores fitted eventually and tried the camera in several different locations as well as moving the cables around. Holding the camera away from the rear screen but not touching it meant the DAB radio worked perfectly. But, as soon as he placed it on the rear screen the DAB cut out. Weird seeing as how you have it working. 😏
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

EmJay wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:56 am I checked with my Volvo dealership servicing department who informed me that Volvo had recently updated its advice and now said dashcams can be installed.
Could you please share a photo with the front dashcam to see where exactly it’s placed on the windshield? Thanks!
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:37 am
EmJay wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:56 am I checked with my Volvo dealership servicing department who informed me that Volvo had recently updated its advice and now said dashcams can be installed.
Could you please share a photo with the front dashcam to see where exactly it’s placed on the windshield? Thanks!

Happy to oblige! BTW. I am unable to see the camera from my driving position.

Internal 422GW Dashcam.JPG

External 422GW Dashcam.JPG

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Thanks EmJay! This is very helpful.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:20 pm Thanks EmJay! This is very helpful.
You are very welcome. I saw (I think it was you) a post expressing concern about a front camera interfering with the lane assist, adaptive cruise control, pilot assist etc. I did a 200 mile plus journey on Monday, mostly motorway, and all systems worked as advertised. 🤗
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I suppose this is due to the radar unit in MY 22-23 facelift being placed on the front grille, not above the rear view mirror as in MY 18-21. The area not to be obstructed on the windshield became smaller and radar free, thus allowing for safe placement of dashcams. More info here: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... adar-units

56AA91C4-C8C7-4F1F-89F8-7E9C53942C22.jpeg

6DED8A46-9A98-4A79-814A-A0A768ACF899.jpeg

Last edited by eugen61 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

My MY2018 has the front camera in almost exactly the the same position as Emjay’s.

No interference has been noticed with the Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist, etc.

The car has been through the Dealers service several times with the camera in situ and no comments made with regard to its placement or operation..
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

PC40 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:32 pm My MY2018 has the front camera in almost exactly the the same position as Emjay’s.

No interference has been noticed with the Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist, etc.

The car has been through the Dealers service several times with the camera in situ and no comments made with regard to its placement or operation..
Good to know! My car goes in for the 2nd year servicing on 15 Sept so it will be interesting to see what my local dealership has to say..........