Dashcam - Again!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am
EmJay wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:56 am I checked with my Volvo dealership servicing department who informed me that Volvo had recently updated its advice and now said dashcams can be installed.
I suppose this is due to the radar unit in MY 22-23 facelift being placed on the front grille, not above the rear view mirror as in MY 18-21. The area not to be obstructed on the windshield became smaller and radar free, thus allowing for safe placement of dashcams. More info here: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... adar-units
Thanks for the info. That is a great development for the car.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

EmJay wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:20 pm That is a great development for the car.
Remains to be seen how well the new radar unit will cope with snow and dirt in winter driving conditions without being kept clean by the windshield washer and wipers.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:31 am
Remains to be seen how well the new radar unit will cope with snow and dirt in winter driving conditions without being kept clean by the windshield washer and wipers.
True! Perhaps you can give an update once winter arrives.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

EmJay wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:45 pm
We’ll need help in form of feedback from MY22-23 owners with the new radar unit placed on the front grille. I’ll revisit this topic in 6 months.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:08 pm
EmJay wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:45 pm
We’ll need help in form of feedback from MY22-23 owners with the new radar unit placed on the front grille. I’ll revisit this topic in 6 months.
Super, thanks!
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Mine is a MY21 and it has the radar unit in the front grille. I've had it for over 12 months and not had any issues in any season.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
drcxc402022

Post by drcxc402022 »

Hi People
I have just taken delivery (after a 6-month wait) of an XC40 Hybrid Plugin Recharge T5.
I have used Blackvue dashcams for about 11+ years across BMWs (5 models) Jaguars (2 models) Lexus (2 models) and now this VolvoXC.
My Blackvue installer has had problems with this current XC model and the Blackvue 750x 3ch plus (which requires ignition switched feed and a permanent live feed for parking mode), the selected supplies by him from the fusebox under the L-hand front seat interfered with park assist cameras parking sounders and a pile of other errors which led to removing the whole installation and gaining some extra knowledge from Blackvue Volvo or elsewhere.
The service manager at my local dealership (had to get the errors cleared after de-install) has informed us that the latest Volvos now have highly sensitive electronics and that the only recommended dash cam is the Roadhawk.
Well the Roahawk (origins are it was a truck camera) is basically a plugin for a 12v socket and, you have to have 2 kits for front and rear cameras adding up to a total of £760+ including 2 hard wiring kits and 2 install costs plus, if you so decided to go down that road (excuse the pun) you have to have 2 SD cards for the cameras.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any similar problems with Blackvue dashcams and specifically the latest XC40 Hybrid Plugin Recharge.
Is it worth taking this problem to Volvo and asking for advice regarding my dashcam preference and can they supply the technical information that my Blacvue installer requires to complete the installation satisfactorily?
My wife and I driving around in a £50k+ new car without dashcams feels to us very stupid after always having them (and have had to use them to our advantage in the past).
Some educated help would be so much appreciated, please.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I’ve got a Thinkware Q800pro in mine. Works perfectly
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

drcxc402022 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:40 pm The service manager at my local dealership (had to get the errors cleared after de-install) has informed us that the latest Volvos now have highly sensitive electronics and that the only recommended dash cam is the Roadhawk.
Read the car warranty T&C. From owner’s manual:
“We strongly recommend that Volvo owners install only genuine, Volvo-approved accessories, and that accessory installations be performed only by a trained and qualified Volvo service technician. Certain functions only work when the associated software is installed in the vehicle's computer system.
• Genuine Volvo accessories are tested to ensure compatibility with the performance, safety, and emission systems in your vehicle. Additionally, a trained and qualified Volvo service technician knows where accessories may and may not be safely installed in your Volvo. In all cases, please consult a trained and qualified Volvo service technician before installing any accessory in or on your vehicle.
• Accessories that have not been approved by Volvo may or may not be specifically tested for compatibility with your vehicle.
• Any of your vehicle's performance and safety systems could be adversely affected if you install accessories that Volvo has not tested, or if you allow accessories to be installed by someone unfamiliar with your vehicle.
Damage caused by unapproved or improperly installed accessories may not be covered by your new vehicle warranty. See your Warranty and Service Records Information booklet for more warranty information. Volvo assumes no responsibility for death, injury, or expenses that may result from the installation of non-genuine accessories.