Cracked front sunroof

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

I haven’t found more than one mention of this on this forum but plenty on the US equivalent…

We noticed today that our 69-plate XC40 has a series of wavy cracks in the front sunroof section - no obvious impact damage (you can just about feel a nick with your fingernail, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an impact site).

Anyone else had this issue and managed to make a warranty claim? Googling suggests it ‘always’ seems to be the front section and no one (other than Volvo head office) seems to associate it with a known impact….

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I think sunroof's look cool and I can see the attraction - but I would never have one as they are too much trouble - most of the "twist" movement on a car, just like twisting a box, will happen at the four top corners and that movement perhaps may have cracked the glass?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am I think sunroof's look cool and I can see the attraction - but I would never have one as they are too much trouble - most of the "twist" movement on a car, just like twisting a box, will happen at the four top corners and that movement perhaps may have cracked the glass?
Still living in the 1970’s then Oldie
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3629

@Chris John - why would my personal dislike to a sunroof, which is only a preference ;) , and offering a fair suggestion to why mysterious cracks might be appearing in a sunroof cause you to add such a bizarre comment :o - maybe some therapy is needed :lol:
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, you make a fair point but suspect the XC40 is pretty rigid even with a sunroof. And suspect the most "twist" it encounters is when it negotiates a particularly steep kerb! Anyway, I'd expect the bonded windscreen to suffer a similar fate if twist was a factor?
Anyway, I'd love to see your thoughts on the other current thread claiming 90mpg out of the B4 AWD!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am
Please Oldie, let’s see your comment on this one: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3243&start=20
Deleted User 3629

@eugen61 - if that XC40 is really doing 82-mpg my comment can only be - I want one :lol:
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Me too. Believe it does 0-60 sub 2 seconds and is self washing and polishing.
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

@JFDIT - you are right, and as with most cars, the roof's should be rigid enough not to flex too much, however cars do flex, that's why you will hear creaking when off-road and may also flex more on poor road surface - but the facts here are, Noodles has wavy cracks in his sunroof and from my experience this usually indicate stress present within the glass or stress being applied to the glass by either impact or flex forces?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If it were the rear bonded glass roof maybe. But the front is free moving so shouldn't be affected by any flexing of the body. More likely something fell on it!
Lincolnshire England.