Speed cameras

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Wow speed limits are political. Well thats a new one 🙄
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Speed doesn't kill. It's the stopping suddenly that causes the problems.....

If any political party believed they could garner votes to win an election by increasing or decreasing the speed limit then I'm sure they wouldn't, unless there was significant scientific safety evidence to that effect. :lol:
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

"Speed doesn't kill". Absolutely nonsense. You stated that stopping causes the problem, add this to increased speed and it proves clearly that you don't understand Physics and more specifically Newton's laws of motion.
I'll drive at 70, you drive at 90 and we'll see who can stop quickest.
I'll hit you with a car travelling at 20, then repeat it at 30 and let's see the difference in your injuries.
Please, please do not say that speed doesn't kill. That's just moronic.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

At what speed does physics dictate you'll die then? I've personally done over 600mph in a plane and was fine after.
Think you misread my quote.

And not wishing to start an argument, speed also saves lives.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

From a UK speed awareness course (taken by a friend not me...) If you are travelling at 30mph and brake hard to a stop and then do the same at 31mph, how much further do you travel ?

Same question at 70 & 71 mph...

If you hit a child in the road at 35mph there is a 50% chance the child will die...at 30mph, the chance is 20%

Answers... 8 feet, and 38 feet.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

18c036f262ef322194553462279e5bbf.png

I have no problem with the message and the braking distance figures are verifiable, but the second statement reminds me of this
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

@Greggspies - it is also true that 73.6% of all statistics are made up.

There will come a day when exceeding the speed limit will only be possible as a deliberate act. As of July this year, all new cars in the EU and UK must have a speed limiter fitted for Intelligent Speed Assist, a data logger for insurance companies, and Autonomous Emergency Braking. The intention is, at some point in the not too distant future, the use of speed limiters will become mandatory. However, anyone who’s tried to use the speed limiter will know that there’s a few issues to sort out first.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
goldy

Post by goldy »

I have no problem with a speed limiter I use mine all the time. Concentrate on your driving and let the limiter look after your licence.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I have no problem with a speed limiter I use mine all the time
I get quite a few false speed limit readings from road signs which makes the automatic speed limiter unreliable. For example, when I pass a side road that has a different speed limit to the road I’m on. Also, when leaving a road with a 20mph limit to join one that’s 30mph, there’s nothing to tell the car that the speed limit has changed, so it stays on 20mph.

There’s a crossroad near my house where I turn right onto a 30mph road, but the road straight ahead is 20mph. Every single time I use that junction, my car reads the 20mph sign and incorrectly thinks that’s the speed limit for the road I’m driving on. The next time I use my car, It will continue to believe the speed limit is 20mph until I drive past a road sign showing 40mph, or more.

The other common problem with Intelligent Speed Assist systems is when a car’s camera reads the sign on the back of a lorry from the EU and adjusts the speed limiter accordingly.

The best use I’ve found for the speed limiter is going through roadworks on the motorway.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

KeithR56 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:05 pm @Greggspies - it is also true that 73.6% of all statistics are made up.

There will come a day when exceeding the speed limit will only be possible as a deliberate act. As of July this year, all new cars in the EU and UK must have a speed limiter fitted for Intelligent Speed Assist, a data logger for insurance companies, and Autonomous Emergency Braking. The intention is, at some point in the not too distant future, the use of speed limiters will become mandatory. However, anyone who’s tried to use the speed limiter will know that there’s a few issues to sort out first.
A data logger is not a requirement.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21