Bonnet (gap) - Only one catch closing

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and having just bought a second hand XC40 have noticed that it has an uneven panel gap on the bonnet on the drivers side. There is no evidence of shunt or repair damage.

I also noticed this same uneven panel gap on a number of other cars I have seen on the road and some pics on websites too. You can almost fit fingers under the drivers headlight/bonnet.

Whilst investigating it seems that my bonnet only catches properly on the passenger side and not the drivers side and so the gaps against the headlights are uneven. Please can you tell me if this is common fault and if there is an 'easy' remedy to fix this? Is it a warped bonnet (doesn't look like it is warped)

Many thanks

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

When a bonnet has two catches either side you often need two hands near both catches and a little more of a push to locate them correctly, and even more of a push if your bonnet does not have any under-bonnet insulation fitted making it a lighter - but their should be no difference in panel gap when closed properly - from experience Volvo have good even panel gaps generally throughout and any unevenness after its correctly closed may indicate something removed and not too well replaced.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I once closed mine one handed, then noticed a vibration later in the day on a motorway run. Now I always use both hands to ensure the latches on each side engage. Then a visual gap check on each side and good to go. It's clearly visible if only 1 has engaged.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Many thanks both - I've pushed it down more forcefully than I should have to and this has reduced the gap a bit, but not fully engaged, I think. Maybe I was being too careful as didn't want to bow the panel. Interesting to have seen other XC40's with this same gap on the same side on the road. Thanks for replying! :
goldy

Post by goldy »

My new B4 was exactly the same when I picked it up (not the best PDI) I fear. Lift the bonnet and you'll see an adjusting peg in the slam panel, screw it in a little and it will allow the catch to engage properly.
My drivers door didn't shut properly either.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Your instinct not to bend the panel (bonnet) was right!
If you pull down the bonnet to about 15 or so cm from shut and you simply let it fall into place it must lock on both sides. Not doing so means most probably the rubber posts/buffers are not equally screwed in. Look for them and screw the "culprit side" one a few times, this is most probably the cause for a bonnet not catching properly. They are there to keep the bonnet "tensioned" while locked, but if not adjusted properly this can be the result. A pretty good way to tell if this is the case is to drive on the highway, 70mph should make the issue pretty visible :)
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks ciuncky and goldy - I screwed down both rubber buffers and it improved the fit no end. still only actually latches on the passenger side latch but looks like it fits a lot better. Thanks so much for suggesting that. great advice.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Might sound daft to ask, but how do you know it’s only latching on 1 side ??

Mine latched to both sides…

Worth giving the latch a good deep clean and lubrication and make sure the mechanism works - it could just be gunged up and stiff…
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Andy40 - because I could get my fingers under the gap and it was loose. I found out that the second latch on driver side had an issue and I took a screwdriver to it to flick up a catch, then oiled it and bingo....along with the screwing down of the rubber buffers it now looks exactly as it should with no gap and both catches doing their job. Having become aware of this I now notice roughly half of all XC40's I see on the road have this same issue and always with the drivers side being raised off the headlamp cluster....Was a fairly easy fix in the end. Appreciate the help. thanks. PS: You can see the issue even on this image here posted on a car sizing website - https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... dan/front/ (front view picture - notice the gap)
Jozsef_hu

Post by Jozsef_hu »

I also noticed that after closing down sometimes one of the catches does not engage. However, there is no feedback on this one on the dashboard, like bonnet is open or alike. It needs a bit more care compared to other cars equipped with one lock in the center.