Double defect

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
XC40London

Post by XC40London »

After leaving my XC40 T3 parked up for a week to go on holiday, I came back to find two defects being reported to me when I started the car.

I’m being told the Park Assist System is temporarily unavailable, and that a Start/Stop service is required.

Having not driven the car for seven days, I thought perhaps these would clear after I got moving, but they are both still there a few days later.

Does anyone know what might have caused both of these defects to come up at the same time, and what might be done to rectify them?

CD35416E-2087-4BA2-A350-5FCE3D6AAEFF.jpeg

110D0BDF-5BDD-4AAC-92DF-ACCBA5699CE5.jpeg

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The support battery is creating this sort of problem, probably got depleted after 7 days, but it should have recharged after couple of days of driving. Faulty support battery is a known issue to Volvo, I had the same problem as you’re describing and support battery was replaced for free under warranty. A trip to your dealer is required to sort this out.
GCxc40

Post by GCxc40 »

I Have a T4 New March 2020 . I have just this week had the same issue. was advised to trickle charge the main battery overnight. I bought a new charger suitable for stop/start cars and charged for 17 hours but still have the error messages. The dealer is already making noises about warranty not covering the issue but I've researched new batteries and they all seem to come with a 3 to 5 year warranty so why the Manufacturer doesn't do the same is a mystery.. I've never had a battery fail in less than about 5 years in decades of owning cars and my motoring has been no different in the past couple of weeks than the previous two years so I'm suspicious when the dealer says it's all due to short trips. I'm surprised there aren't more comments on this issue on the forum if it is a problem known to Volvo.
T4 FWD Inscription ,Xenium Pack,Intellisafe,Winter Pack,Towbar, Glacier Silver
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

There is lots of posts about stop/start. It’s basically not fit for purpose. Mines not worked for I’d say 12 months now and that includes a 140 mile drive without a stop. The dealer says I don’t use the car enough 🤦🏻‍♂️
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Like others, I am now having problems with the auxilliary support battery. The following day after a 60 mile trip it fails to provide the stop/start function until I have covered a further 20 miles or so. The overnight slump is more than surprising. My question is: I can do without the stop/start facility but is this battery needed for other essential purposes (I don't have Park Assist)?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Stop/start will only work if support battery is above 80% charge (according to my dealer). I told him it wasn’t fit for purpose (to which he agreed)
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I've had 6 cars with stop/start, and the XC40 is THE BEST by a country mile. For completeness, they were/ are: Kia Rio, Focus Ecoboost, Renault Captur and Kadjar, Ford Kuga and the XC40
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Cornishman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:48 am I've had 6 cars with stop/start, and the XC40 is THE BEST by a country mile. For completeness, they were/ are: Kia Rio, Focus Ecoboost, Renault Captur and Kadjar, Ford Kuga and the XC40
My wife’s Skoda Citigo stop/start system has worked perfectly on every trip since we bought it 6 years ago. Longest trip she ever does is 7 miles. The stop/start system on my XC40 on the other hand worked for the first three months of ownership, since then it stops/starts once in a blue moon and then only after 300-400 mile journeys. Have to agree with Chris on this one, not fit for purpose in my opinion…
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

My B4 has been faultless in 15 months and 22000 miles...
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Cornishman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 pm My B4 has been faultless in 15 months and 22000 miles...
B model is different system to T models