Who would've thought ..........

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

.................................... this could be over £10,000 worth of damage! :o

Just waiting to see if it's going to be more (after alignment check), if it is it could be a write-off! :cry:

Accident.jpg

Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Oh no. Gutted for you. Hesitate to ask.....what happened?
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Bob

Post by Bob »

My wife was driving, where the car is the road narrows and there were two cars parked on her side of the road, at the end of the road, up an incline, is a mini-roundabout.
She slowed down to a very slow roll, 40 metres from the roundabout, to let two cars pass, she started to pass the two parked cars, and was committed to pass, when the white transit in the picture left the roundabout and entered the road she was on. He continued accelerating, not even trying to slow down, and hit our car (my wife could see what was about to happen and had come to a stop), he continued past our car and embedded himself in the corner of a terraced house on his side of the road.
This was in a 20mph speed limit.

The first parked car is behind ours, the second one had to be moved because she couldn't open the drivers door and had to get out of the passenger side.

It looks like we have a fight on our hands as he is denying responsibility saying she was on the wrong side of the road and she was looking down. I think he is trying to imply she was on her phone, which is laughable as she is a right technophobe and she barely knows how to use it!

Unfortunately there were no independent witnesses, but we do have some poor quality camera footage from the white house in the background. The cameras are up in the eaves so the perspective is odd, but from up there they are looking down on the scene and it clearly shows he didn't slow down.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

He's going at such a lick in a 20 zone, he hits a stationary car and carries on to hit a house? These people ought to be banned. I hope you get it sorted at no cost. Makes you wonder about dashcams 🤔

Good luck.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Oh that’s not good news and not nice about the other driver - makes you wonder if he was on his phone or something, trying to pass the blame straight aaay to someone else…

Really hope you get it sorted out 👍🏻
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks guys.
I believe the Police think he's at fault, so that should help if they charge him, even if they only offer him a driver awareness course it should help our case.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

There's a feature I recall where the car stores a period of the lane monitoring camera footage during an accident. I wonder if you had that enabled, and whether it would be possible to obtain it?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Felindre wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:34 am There's a feature I recall where the car stores a period of the lane monitoring camera footage during an accident. I wonder if you had that enabled, and whether it would be possible to obtain it?
I’ve heard about this before, but couldn’t see anywhere in the settings to ‘activate it’ - any ideas ??
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Volvo can retrieve various data from the car’s Event Data Recorder. This is an always on system and can’t be turned off. From the Owner’s Manual:

“As part of Volvo's safety and quality assurance, certain information about the vehicle's operation, functionality and incidents are recorded in the car.
This vehicle is equipped with an "Event Data Recorder" (EDR). Its primary purpose is to register and record data related to traffic accidents or collision like situations, such as times when the airbag deploys or the vehicle strikes an obstacle in the road. The data is recorded in order to increase understanding of how vehicle systems work in these types of situations. The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short time, usually 30 seconds or less.
The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record data related to the following in the event of traffic accidents or collision-like situations:
• How the various systems in the car worked
• Whether the driver and passenger seat- belts were fastened/tensioned
• The driver's use of the accelerator or brake pedal
• The travel speed of the vehicle
This information can help us understand the circumstances in which traffic accidents, injuries and damage occur. The EDR only records data when a non-trivial collision situation occurs. The EDR does not record any data during normal driving conditions. Similarly, the system never registers who is driving the vehicle or the geographic location of the accident or near-miss situation. However, other parties, such as the police, could use the recorded data in combination with the type of personally identifiable information routinely collected after a traffic accident. Special equipment and access to either the vehicle or the EDR is required to be able to interpret the registered data.

Volvo will not contribute to the above-described information being disclosed to third parties without the vehicle owner's consent. To comply with national legislation and regulations, Volvo may be forced to disclose information of this nature to the police or other authorities who may assert a legal right to access such. Special technical equipment which Volvo and workshops that have entered into agreements with Volvo have access to is required to be able to read and interpret the recorded data. Volvo is responsible that the information, which is transferred to Volvo during servicing and maintenance, is securely stored and managed and that its management complies with relevant legal requirements. For further information contact a Volvo retailer.”
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've never heard of that before. It looks like Volvo have to retrieve the data, I may have to get in touch with the U.K. Customer Services to see if they can retrieve it automatically and send it to me.

Email sent, let's see what they say.