Panic - tailgate wouldn't close.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

They look like the later struts, hence my comment.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

Stovo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:21 pm If a 2020 model suspect it still has original struts ( unless replaced with updated design)which were subject to water ingress and erosion. Did you get a warranty when you bought the cat, if so and still within the warranty period, take it back and get sorted.
Warranty just ran out when I purchased the vehicle. Will have to replace when they go. Until then, prevention of further corrosion is the goal.
volvo xc40 B4 mild hybrid
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

Stuber wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:07 pm Love the tape idea. I may try self amalgamating tape to form an actual seal at point of closed. It can also be built up in layers quite easily and remains flexible. When I've done it will post here
Stuber - thanks to your feedback I've ripped off the tape and applied self amalgamating tape. When closed the lower section now butt's up nicely against this rubbery seal. Looks OEM!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9hWSAnA5xGmNd2e8

Hope this helps others going through similar issues
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Is it worth spraying WD40 into the strut springs, it may offer longer life before replacement or even help cure if water ingress is prevented by the tape?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

It's disappointing that even the updated design of struts have failed. Definitely not fit for purpose.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

BuzBox wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:20 pm Is it worth spraying WD40 into the strut springs, it may offer longer life before replacement or even help cure if water ingress is prevented by the tape?
Quite difficult to get wd40 into the strut without taking the strut off. With the tailgate in open position, gravity works against the the direction I want the wd40 to flow. Plus I'd have to fill the entire cylinder with wd40 to get to the rusty springs.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

I hear what you say, but when you are trying to salvage items before the need for very expensive replacements, maybe consider drilling a very small access hole to allow WD40 access then epoxy or grommet the hole??
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

BuzBox wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:16 am I hear what you say, but when you are trying to salvage items before the need for very expensive replacements, maybe consider drilling a very small access hole to allow WD40 access then epoxy or grommet the hole??
Never thought of this. Good idea!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Good job these aren't expensive cars! :roll:

bravem01

Post by bravem01 »

I partially opened the tailgate by stopping it before it closed. This allows oil and wd40 to be squirted in downhill. Then I shut it and left it to see what happens. After a couple of days use there is no noticeable quietening so the jury's out but I might give it another shot. Maybe I am too late as it has been noisy for a few weeks!
2020 XC40 R-design, T4