Panic - tailgate wouldn't close.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

I admire you for your ingenuity in coming up a temporary fix, but should you or any owner really have to instigate such ideas. Volvo are supposedly a quality brand, and yet they refuse to recognise what is a blatant design fault including sub standard struts by not announcing any recall. The XC40 is a great car, but alas Volvo are not a great company, and this , not the car, is what is putting doubt in my mind regards getting another.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Range Rover velars have exactly the same problem with their powered tailgate struts
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
jonathan66

Post by jonathan66 »

Thanks Stovo, I completely agree that Volvo should do a recall because it is such a blatant design fault. I like to fix things myself though which is my hobby. I also wish to avoid paying for new struts. Perhaps the dealer will feel embarased and offer me new struts at the next service when I show them what I have done and that I have publicised it - in my dreams I feel. The new struts still rely on a seal at the same position which I assume Volvo has made much better. However there is still and vulnerability at the same point on the new struts because a lot of water will be flowing down them. So my view is that the new struts could go the same way as well.
XC40 Inscription MY2020 D4 AWD
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

jonathan66 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:30 pm Thanks Stovo, I completely agree that Volvo should do a recall because it is such a blatant design fault. I like to fix things myself though which is my hobby. I also wish to avoid paying for new struts. Perhaps the dealer will feel embarased and offer me new struts at the next service when I show them what I have done and that I have publicised it - in my dreams I feel. The new struts still rely on a seal at the same position which I assume Volvo has made much better. However there is still and vulnerability at the same point on the new struts because a lot of water will be flowing down them. So my view is that the new struts could go the same way as well.
I’ve been lucky so far, but if I get an issue can you apply same fix, and save me a few bob. 😂😂😂
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Chris John wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 pm Range Rover velars have exactly the same problem with their powered tailgate struts
My neighbour has a 2019 Evoque (new model) and they have had struts replaced FOC by dealer. Our friends have a 2017 Discovery Sport, their struts failed but they had to pay. Seems Land Rover have issues on numerous vehicles.
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

I have the same issue on a 2019 model. I'd be interested to know if anyone has has the struts fail as a result of this issue and been either unable to open or close the tailgate. The noise is unpleasant but I could put up with it as I'm due to replace the car later this year.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Does yours open and close automatically even though they make a noise?

Mine didn't make any noise but the internal rusting (mine was a 2019 with the plastic cased struts) caused the casing on one strut to be expanded causing a swelling. The door would open Ok but when closing would only go half way but then encounter resistance and would open again. Only way I could close it was by pushing it down which took some force.

I avoided using the rear door as far as I could until I got the struts replaced.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

It still opens and closes but just makes a noise when doing so. There is evidence of rust on the struts but no signs of any bulging. I'm hoping it doesn't fail before I change in a few months time.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Mine started making a noise in the first year, It was replaced under warranty.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Hi guys !
I may have the answer to this tailgate water ingress problem !
I have a prototype on test in the workshop ,so hope it will be the answer to put an end to this expensive failure!
Watch this space!