Panic - tailgate wouldn't close.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

I’m just relieved. Because I intend to keep the car until next spring, I did not want the worry of cost incurred to replace them. If as it appears, I have the latest design (no idea how), I don’t have that concern.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Indeed. Whatever the reason for replacement early on it's good to have the later design.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

The flaw in these strut designs is that water gets into the bottom spring section when the tailgate is closed. Blue arrows in photo.

This causes corrosion of the springs and eventual failure.

When the tailgate is opened, orange rust water dribbles out of the strut onto the car body and rear lights. Red arrows in photo.

After giving it some thought, i came up with a 'hack' to cover the joint when the tailgate is closed to prevent water from getting in. It's not pretty, but it does the job quite well. see 2nd photo.

I looped a red tie wrap around the strut and closed the tailgate. This pushes the tie-wrap up to the position where water ingress occurs. I then took some electrical tape and folded 1/3 of it back over itself so that you get a non-sticky section to go around the tie wrap. Wrap it around the tie-wrap as shown in picture below.

Now when the tailgate closes, the joint is covered and water should now flow over it instead of into the strut and cause damage to the springs.

If anyone can think of a more elegant solution - please share. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YQT3hBqRPLt3hpM38

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cGkLQFkNoFKHWXRQ8

Video of the final implementation

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hwbWKbG9xb3Vhwjp7
Last edited by K9plus1 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volvo xc40 B4 mild hybrid
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

So you're having problems with the updated design?
Last edited by ChrisLF on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

It appears so. The water seal (if there is indeed one) between the 2 sliding parts doesn't seem to function. Water gets in after a shower. The right strut makes clanking noises when it opens.

So what i've done is really an attempt at preventative maintenance. I've added a video to show how it all comes together.
Stuber

Post by Stuber »

Love the tape idea. I may try self amalgamating tape to form an actual seal at point of closed. It can also be built up in layers quite easily and remains flexible. When I've done it will post here
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

K9plus1 what MY is your car, don’t appear to have an issue with the revised struts fitted to my car, even after the torrential rain of recent.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

What's a MY? Year of manufacture? 2020.

I'm sure the fault doeant apply to all. Perhaps the seal on this strut has failed.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

Stuber wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:07 pm Love the tape idea. I may try self amalgamating tape to form an actual seal at point of closed. It can also be built up in layers quite easily and remains flexible. When I've done it will post here
I have self amalgamating tape too. What a great idea!
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

If a 2020 model suspect it still has original struts ( unless replaced with updated design)which were subject to water ingress and erosion. Did you get a warranty when you bought the cat, if so and still within the warranty period, take it back and get sorted.