3 SIM card on offer at Amazon £28 (Aug 22)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

On inserting my 3 card, the car tried to take me through the reg process (obviously couldn't do that) so had to revert to the laptop... PITA process as I had to use the "phone number" of the sim to login and register. I didn't get any web connectivity until I had completed the process

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Mikeg1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 pm Did you get up and running OK with the 3 card Andy?
Afternoon Mike

Apologies, completely missed this.

Yes, an absolute doddle.

Switched the car modem on in the car
Put the SIM in the boot connector
Sat back in the car
Within 20 seconds got a welcome to 3 message
Within 2-3 minutes, globe and bars on SIM icon on main screen.

Checked and internet there… simples as they say.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Brilliant 👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Andy40 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:26 pm
Mikeg1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 pm Did you get up and running OK with the 3 card Andy?
Afternoon Mike

Yes, an absolute doddle.

Sat back in the car

I get what you are saying regarding installing the SIM and the manner in which it self-connects etc. But, I'm still confused, when you say 'internet there', what exactly are you able to with the connection??
My car is showing the Internet 'Globe' but, apart from using the Weather app, all of the other pre installed apps require subscriptions so far as I can see so they're effectively useless!
Naively I thought I would be able to install apps that I use on my mobile but no.
Also .....
My car only has 1 USB socket (beneath the Radio controls) and that doesn't have the white surround, Is this causing problems?
To date I have been unable to connect my phone to use Android Auto .. I'm normally OK sorting out issues on my Samsung phone but am finding this all a bit baffling tbh. :cry: :cry:
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

SteveM wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:12 pm
Andy40 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:26 pm
Afternoon Mike

Yes, an absolute doddle.

Sat back in the car

I get what you are saying regarding installing the SIM and the manner in which it self-connects etc. But, I'm still confused, when you say 'internet there', what exactly are you able to with the connection??
My car is showing the Internet 'Globe' but, apart from using the Weather app, all of the other pre installed apps require subscriptions so far as I can see so they're effectively useless!
Naively I thought I would be able to install apps that I use on my mobile but no.
Also .....
My car only has 1 USB socket (beneath the Radio controls) and that doesn't have the white surround, Is this causing problems?
To date I have been unable to connect my phone to use Android Auto .. I'm normally OK sorting out issues on my Samsung phone but am finding this all a bit baffling tbh. :cry: :cry:
Afternoon Steve

I use it primarily for real time traffic alerts, can look at the weather - or look out the window 😆, but use Google search with, which then links it / directs to sat nav, can also do online search for places etc.

Depending on data you’ve got on your phone, when I had the free 100gb Vodaphone SIM, I connected my phone to the car and used the car internet for streaming music - was also useful as there are a couple of poor reception areas for my mobile network, so this worked well.

I wouldn’t say it was essential by any means, I have been tethering my car to my phone for a few months, but every time I had to go to personal hotspot on my phone for the car to then automatically connect - this in itself wasn’t an issue, but if I forgot in the car park, id have to either leave it or pull up and do it (and it tended to be as I got to the motorway id remember).

Volvo has a few apps, but not an abundance of them…

The white circled USB is for Apple car okay / Android auto - so you’ve basically 2 USB ports and can have a USB stick in the other if you wish, loaded with music.

I seem to remember, the 2nd USB was on offer at Volvo as a dealer fit if you wanted to upgrade…

Hope it’s of help 👍🏻
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

With one USB, you've not got Android Auto, which is an extra that can be dealer fitted. The internet data also allows download of software and map updates.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks guys .. I think I've been expecting too much .. I guess I've been spoilt by the facilities afforded by my Mobile Phone, iPad etc and was hoping to surf the web, get emails etc. - it's no big thing
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

SteveM wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm Thanks guys .. I think I've been expecting too much .. I guess I've been spoilt by the facilities afforded by my Mobile Phone, iPad etc and was hoping to surf the web, get emails etc. - it's no big thing
CarPlay/AA would give you that. I stream Amazon Music HD that way. It's a dealer fit, currently on offer at under £300 IIRC. Spotify is supported by Volvo, but I gave up waiting for an HD option from them. And AHD is cheaper anyway, if you're a Prime member.

Alternatively, run your mobile apps on your device, and Bluetooth it over?

Nothing else on the limited Volvo list is of much interest to me, but I am happy that my personal SIM autodownloads the UK/WE map updates for me, without further effort on my part.

I'll have to download the France update before July, and its size means I'll have to futz around with the computer and USB ☹️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

"...run your mobile apps on your device, and Bluetooth it over?"

Audio only, obvs.

AA also gives me Waze and WhatsApp.
Mike. West Yorks.

RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

Andy40 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:39 pm Just a heads up - been watching this and literally just seen the 3 internet with legs 24g SIM card is on offer at Amazon for £35

(Not sure why the link shows normal price?)

Hope it’s of help 👍🏻
Thanks for info. I've just ordered one - my current 3 SIM expires in a couple of months.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue