Sensus Map 1380 now available...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Apparently, there's a new version of the whole Europe map (1446) at https://www.volvocars.com/hr/support/do ... spa/europe
Just in case your OTA update is too big to download.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018

Ian prescott

Post by Ian prescott »

This new version (1446) downloaded and installed OTA but took twice as long as the previous version, must be a larger file I guess.!
XC40 MY20 B4 R Design, Black Leather, White.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

How are you all going with the new Sensus Map update (1450)? If anything fails, there's a complete Europe available at https://www.volvocars.com/hr/support/do ... spa/europe :)
Ian prescott

Post by Ian prescott »

1450 installed today OTA. Took Approx 50mins
XC40 MY20 B4 R Design, Black Leather, White.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:45 pm How are you all going with the new Sensus Map update (1450)? If anything fails, there's a complete Europe available at https://www.volvocars.com/hr/support/do ... spa/europe :)
How long does it take to install this 58 GB map in the car from a USB stick to Sensus?
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I've had reason to do a full map update (as opposed to the regional variety) once in the past on advice from my servicing garage as part of attempting to clear a stalled update (it didn't, but that's another story).

Unlike the regional update where the Nav system remains available throughout, the system was disabled during the update, but the process took very little more time (if any) than the single region update.

I assume the full update just does a complete in-situ overwrite, whereas the regional one makes incremental changes to an offline copy, then rolls the updated version back in at next engine off/on.

The full map download takes an age, though. :roll:
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:23 am
ropetko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:45 pm How are you all going with the new Sensus Map update (1450)? If anything fails, there's a complete Europe available at https://www.volvocars.com/hr/support/do ... spa/europe :)
How long does it take to install this 58 GB map in the car from a USB stick to Sensus?
It usually takes some 45-50 minutes in my 2018 Sensus to do a fully update. Last time I did a regional update it took approx the same amount of time, so I disabled the (home region) auto update and am doing the full update instead. The car notices me of the map upgrade though.
I have a FTTH at home, so it takes less than an hour to download the whole map on a USB stick. I got the notice from my car on Saturday that there is a new map available, so I started the full map download at home later in the evening. We were able to watch the whole Graham Norton Show episode and when it ended, the USB was loaded with data :)
Yesterday we went for a short trip at the mountains, some 36 km and 49 minutes according to the Volvo app, and the map was fully updated when we parked and it was available next time I started the car.

I live in Croatia, near the edge of my home region because Italy is less than 50 miles from where I live and Italy is another region on the map. That's the primary reason why I'm usually downloading the whole Europe and another reason is because it doesn't take much time for me to download, so I can save some SIM data.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Thanks Ropetko for the detailed info. Latest map updates turn out too big for the system to allow them OTA and I will start using the USB method. 49 min for a 58 GB install to the car seems reasonable to me.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:21 pm Thanks Ropetko for the detailed info. Latest map updates turn out too big for the system to allow them OTA and I will start using the USB method. 49 min for a 58 GB install to the car seems reasonable to me.
No problem Eugen, anytime :)
I would just like to add something that Sherwood pointed out and that is the fact that during the whole map update, the Sensus navigation system is disabled. Even road signs recognition and speed limits don't work. If you try to connect Google Maps via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, the Sensus map update will pause. So, the only way to have some navigation available during the map update process is to have it on your smartphone screen and on speakers via Bluetooth.
I am usually doing the map update while driving through my hometown or while waiting at the shopping mall parking. Sometimes I even go to my car infront of our building, open the door and start (unpause) the map update, close the door and go to the bakery, because there is a slim chance someone will open the door. When I'm back after 10 minutes, there's some 15% update done and then I sit in the car for some extra minutes to get extra percentage :)

TL; DR; Don't do the whole map update if you are planning a trip :)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Very useful feedback, thank you.