Rattle passenger side

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
wpv

Post by wpv »

XC40 phev T5: rattle, passenger side, starts over 50-55mph (unaffected by bumps in road) - sounds more like air flow rattling something?
Any ideas?

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Do you have the sunroof ?

Have you tried altering the air vents to see if that helps ?

Obvious, but you have double checked the windows are fully shut ?

Can you hear it sat as a passenger - wondering if they can pinpoint it more ?
wpv

Post by wpv »

Thanks - all good suggestions, but none of the above!
Exmpa

Post by Exmpa »

Lower centre console trim liable to produce a rattle, but not necessarily speed dependent. It’s apparently not unusual, I experienced this and dealership rectified it quickly.

Exmpa
bba

Post by bba »

I suffer from this too and it is driving me crazy, sounds like indeed it is related to airflow. I have been poking at things on the outside of the passenger side to see if anything is loose, but nothing so far. Sometimes I have been wondering if I have left the charging port flap open (BMW have a sensor, so it tells you), but it never is. It seems very difficult to pinpoint. I shall try opening the roof at speed next and see if that makes any difference.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Steker

Post by Steker »

I know this sounds unlikely but in my case after months of searching I realised I only happened when I was tuned in to a DAB station with a week signal and was coming from the tweeter in the door, it sounded sounded like a muffled rattle which I assume is the signal fluttering in and out.
I hope you soon find it, I know how annoying it is. Good luck
MY19 Inscription D3 AWD. Pine grey, Winter pack, Comfort pack.
morganj

Post by morganj »

I can’t think right now where I have seen it, but I do remember reading this. There is a plastic part in front or near the under body around the front wheel arches that can vibrate at around those speeds. Have a search on this or other XC40 forums and I’m sure you will find what I’m talking about.

EDIT Found it

viewtopic.php?t=2634
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
wpv

Post by wpv »

Thanks for all these possibilities.
Will check them out and report back when I (or dealer) find it..
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I had a faint but irritating rattle/sqeek coming from the dashboard around the lower edge of the centre screen. I traced it to the transition between this console and the plastic moulding below it (where the USBs and wireless phone charger are). I found a thin piece of neoprene foam which I pushed in between the two sections out of sight. Problem sorted! A small squirt of silicone lubricant (mould release) spray works wonders on small squeaks and rattles as well.
I don't consider this to be a bad thing as far as Volvo are concerned as all modern car interiors are predominantly plastic sections which will rub together and make a noise of some sort.
wpv

Post by wpv »

I promised to report back when problem solved. It took the persistence of a dealer, but finally tracked down to some sort of loose fitting underneath the front half of the car (so not an interior fitting or sunroof). I can't be more precise, but hope this will help if anyone else gets similar symptoms!