Start/stop engine feature not working for over 1 year

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

The limiter in the Volvo can also be linked to the speed sign recognition if you want ,or just normal limiter,I don't mind the safety systems I don't find them intrusive there are always going to be some situations that will throw a spanner in the works,that's where we drivers come in ,we have to think of them as an aid to our driving,not rely on them 100%,but there are times when they have saved us,I think most of us on here are interested in driving and our vehicles,to some people a car is just something to use ,the safety aids maybe if more benefit to them,even if they don't know it.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@WelshRobin - Yes I have made driving misjudgments - nope happy to use parking sensors just don't wish to rely on them :roll:
Bigman68

Post by Bigman68 »

Went on holiday in my XC40 and my “stop/start battery needs servicing “ warning came up, it also disabled the parking assist. The car was serviced before my holiday journey and I would assume that the condition of the stop start battery would have been checked. I honestly can say that I hate the stop start function on any car, but you can’t switch it off unless you are in sports or Polestar mode. I had the Polestar system fitted to my car for 2 reasons, Firstly I found that the standard set up on my XC 40 had no get up and go entering roundabouts etc, and secondly I permanently run the car in the polestar setting now to do away with the annoying Stop/Start system. My car is in to have the Stop/Start battery checked, I have a feeling that they are going to tell me that it’s kaput and that I need to buy a replacement. My thoughts are this, if I never use the Stop/Start system and the battery is taking a charge how can the battery be duff. And if they say it’s because I don’t use the Stop/Start, then It was never explained that running the car in the Polestar setting only can wreck your Stop/Start battery, if so then I would probably would not have had the expensive upgrade done. The car is 4 years old with 14000 on the clock. Will be interesting to see what they say on Friday when it goes in. Brian.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Bigman... Poor logic. Yes, twenty years ago you may well have been right, but cars now use smart charging, and don't charge all the time - it's a "fuel saving" thing. It takes additional load off the engine, sometimes only charging when you are off the gas on a downhill for example
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Fortunately my old MY2020 won’t qualify for this software upgrade :P
Bigman68

Post by Bigman68 »

Cornishman wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:21 pm Bigman... Poor logic. Yes, twenty years ago you may well have been right, but cars now use smart charging, and don't charge all the time - it's a "fuel saving" thing. It takes additional load off the engine, sometimes only charging when you are off the gas on a downhill for example
Larry, lm 68 so obviously not up to date with the charging systems now days, Thank for enlightening me. Brian.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Realistically, charging the battery puts a load on the car. I think it's naive to expect it to charge well when run at motorway speeds or in Dynamic / Polestar mode.
That's when the engine stays in the midrevs and needs the most power, so diverting a few HP and 1-2% of fuel for extra power to load the alternator doesn't sound smart.

I'd imagine in above cases, all the alternator does is hold the charge. I'v'e had my support battery charnge and Start/Stop kick in after 10-15 minutes of city driving, but refusing to kick in after a London to Bath trip.
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

I had a problem with the support battery not receiving sufficient charge during lockdown as my 2020 T3 was only being used for occasional short journeys. Eventually, even after long runs or charging it would not hold a charge. Volvo would not replace the support battery so I had to pay for a replacement. Since the new battery was fitted, and with more vehicle use, I haven't had a recurrence of the problem. Incidentally when the support battery charge was low, I also had a couple of warnings show, I think one was 'rear parking sensor not available '?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Poacher wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:14 pm Incidentally when the support battery charge was low, I also had a couple of warnings show, I think one was 'rear parking sensor not available '?
viewtopic.php?p=22425#p22425
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Hi Poacher. That's interesting. I suggested in an earlier post that could be the reason I reversed (gently) into a wall but with no parking sensor warning. Fortuately, no damage was done but I was dismayed nevertheless. I think it was contributor 'Oldie' who commented that a competent driver should not need or use parking sensors, but what's the point of them then?