External trim cleaner

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Apologies if this has been covered before, the external plastic trim on my xc40 is the worst I have ever experienced, the car is 4 months old and the trim could pass for 4 years.
It’s not convenient for me to set up a jet washer every time I want to give the car a quick wash, are there any recommendations out there to clean the plastic trim before perhaps sealing it.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Recommendation for any products to clean the trim I mean
goldy

Post by goldy »

Turtle Wax Ice.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Autoglym BUMPER & TRIM GEL
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
goldy

Post by goldy »

goldy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:40 pmTurtle Wax Ice.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

The best product I have ever used and I've tried em all is Stoners Trim Shine. Make sure it is the aerosol version not the pump spray version as it is different. It is super easy to use and works very well.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Ok, thanks for your replies.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Yep, plastic trims today are a pain and because most (if not all) are recycled plastics they tend to tarnish and go grey very quickly :( - most trim products will give reasonable results, but the key to good looking plastic trims is frequent application, especially after days of rain - in my opinion no need to go for expensive top branded stuff, and Turtle Wax products give great results - but frequent care and dressing application is the key to good looking plastics ;) .
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Oh, and this is only my opinion, but don't jet wash plastics, in fact don't jet wash a car - its too harsh and can damage what is often delicate surfaces - especially modern water-based coatings and recycled plastics - best way to clean a car - use a hose-pipe - soak and pre-wash to soften dirt - then with a clean sponge and lots of Turtle Wax liquid added to the bucket, clean from the top down, rinse and use drying towels - don't forget to wash under the wheel arches, especially following winter road-salted periods.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Oldie has pretty much summed it up. My XC40 is about the same age as yours Den48 and I've been using the Auto Glym vinyl and rubber pump spray that came in the bag with the car and it looks great after application. My daily commute involves a mixture of dual carriageway and farm lanes, I also go to the beach a lot, so any car would look dirty very quickly. You just have to keep on top of it.