Why Did You Buy an EV?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

What a muddle! Guess that's the beauty of Standards - there's so many to choose from.....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Wow can't even seem to standardise a plug at the end of a cable :shock: - and some praise the need to jump in a join the future :?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Roll on Hydrogen....the real answer
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Electric vehicles are at the forefront of development, kind of like cars at the beginning of the last century. Nobody thought to create the standards before hand so it's very much up to the producers to create the technology as they went along. Standards only occur in retrospect as developer 3 says 'so instead of designing my own plug, what are developer 1 and 2 doing for this?' Bit like VHS and Betamax. The most popular will rise to the top and become the defacto standard.

Just give it another 5 to 10 years :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

JFDIT wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:03 am What a muddle! Guess that's the beauty of Standards - there's so many to choose from.....

Oldie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 am Wow can't even seem to standardise a plug at the end of a cable :shock: - and some praise the need to jump in a join the future :?
🤣
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Mikeg1 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:22 am
JFDIT wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:03 am What a muddle! Guess that's the beauty of Standards - there's so many to choose from.....

Oldie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 am Wow can't even seem to standardise a plug at the end of a cable :shock: - and some praise the need to jump in a join the future :?
🤣
Yes, a bit of a mess, but standards are emerging. ChaDeMo is on the way out I think. Type 2 and CCS are emerging as the standard for slow and fast charging. You don’t need your own CCS cable since they are always attached to commercial chargers. And I don’t think you can find ChaDeMo without CCS and Type 2 cables attached also. Most new cars can take both Type 2 and CCS. Tesla has gone its own way but is now working on compatibility. Something else will inevitably appear in the future, but I don’t see anything substantially changing for quite a while - certainly not until far beyond the life of my car.