Why Did You Buy an EV?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I do wonder how on Earth the UK will be able to generate the amount of electricity we will need to charge all the EVs when ICE cars are banned along with the gas boiler heating systems that are also being banned. Unless the government build another dozen nuclear power stations in the next ten years (impossible I know), or covers most of the UK in wind turbines it just isn’t going to happen IMHO.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, it was easy for the current government to set a date for the banning of new ICE cars but they will not be the ones implementing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there has to be some back-pedalling?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Leodis

Post by Leodis »

I want to buy an EV but need it to be within my budget of £30-40k and have a long range battery. For me the EV prices are just not dropping to make it worth it, I can't afford a £50k XC40 though I would love one, a choice between average small SUV like a Kona or Mokka EV or a Volvo XC40 B3.. Not a tough choice.
MY23 B3 Plus on order, no del date.
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

JFDIT wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 pm As yet I've not had a response from any BEV owners as to how they manage frequent Long Haul journeys and what issues they do/don't encounter. Given the volume of BEVs sold of late I'm surprised.
It has taken a very long time to get the P8s actually delivered to people. I will post info once I have the opportunity to do a longer haul trip this spring/summer. In the meantime, you might want to look at the US forum: https://www.xc40forum.com/forums/volvo- ... harge.161/
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

The government has driven a stake in the ground on EV's and boilers - but guess that stake has only gone in a few inches so it can be easily moved - pretty sure EV's are the future but the masses will only transfer to the future when it "fits" and history shows no amount of forcing ever goes smoothly or to plan.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Long haul, with an extra twist is the reason for my hesitation. I tow a caravan, so already my mileage is reduced with ICE. There are BEV out there that are now being sold with the towing weight capacity that I would need, but the distances between charges is totally impractical.

Add to that how you recharge: I read a caravanning magazine, they tried this out, and the way most charging outlets are laid out, you couldn't get a car and hitched van alongside the charger. So you have to unhitch and leave the van somewhere (having to apply the hitch and wheel locks), go and charge, then come back, rehitch and then on to the next cycle.

Petrol stations, the forecourt is big with high canopies and generous room to drive the outfit up, fill up, and drive off again. All within 5 minutes.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'm also interested in the different charging point standards. Can you use any charging point?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:56 pm I'm also interested in the different charging point standards. Can you use any charging point?
As long as it has a CCS or Type 2 connector. The CCS can handle the faster DC charging (up to 150Kw/hr on the XC40). These are now standard in Europe so pretty much all the new chargers will be accessible. Some Japanese models such as Nissan and Lexus use different connectors and then there is Tesla. Tesla seems to be coming on board with CCS and is testing allowing us mere mortals to use its exalted supercharger network albeit at a price. The supercharger network is the one thing going for tesla at the moment.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

So with the supplied cable I can access every charging point in the UK except Tesla?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:14 pm So with the supplied cable I can access every charging point in the UK except Tesla?
Almost! The XC40 is supplied with a Type 2 cable which works with home wall box chargers and the slower public chargers. There are a few slower public chargers that have a different connector but they are now quite uncommon. The super fast chargers use the CCS connector on the XC40 and this cable is integral to the charger. These are usually rated at 50 or 150 kw/h but faster ones are around.(Think max is 350Kw/h at the moment but very few EVs can make use of this speed) The XC40 can charge at a maximum of 150Kw/h. Some of these also have a type 2 connector but usually limited to <50kw/h. Some also have a CHADeMO for Nissan, Lexus etc. Usually limited to 100Kw/h. The XC40 also has a lead for a 3 pin domestic socket for last resort use. This will give at most 3Kw/h.
Hope that helps. As for payment well thats a whole new subject in itself.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps