Under bonnet insulation.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
goldy

Post by goldy »

I've had two XC40's the first had insulation the second hasn't believe me the difference is unmistakable especially when you shut the bonnet, sounds like an old tin can.
The only advantage is that snow soon melts and slides off the bonnet when the engines running.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Finally a comparison that concludes these pads do perform real functions :shock: ; some think these pads would have only been removed following long risk assessment meetings to conclude its not needed? If that is so then a bean counter must have had the final say rather than an engineer as its removal seems to diminishes the original concept :( .
goldy

Post by goldy »

It's pure penny pinching, even low end cars have bonnet insulation.
Moss

Post by Moss »

goldy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 pm It's pure penny pinching, even low end cars have bonnet insulation.
Please have a look at the video on page 5 posted by Jamie307 and the video on page 9 posted by Bocca70 (and the same video on page 14, posted by Deleted User 3907), and you will see that in those videos from 2018 and 2019 some XC40’s have the under bonnet pad installed while others have not, so as I already mentioned several times earlier (i.e. my posts on pages 7, 12, 13, and 17) the fact to not install the under bonnet pad has nothing to do with recent penny pinching : unless you have a diesel XC40, the normal thing is that you don’t have the under bonnet pad.

If you have nevertheless, you’re lucky, that’s all.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I’m sorry to differ with you Moss, but the video does not necessarily support your argument. My understanding is that this was a promotional video which may well have been staged for the film crew (in my experience they usually are). I don’t see any indication of what markets those vehicles were intended for, so maybe the spec sheet didn’t call for sound insulation. I’m not familiar with that particular factory’s assembly process, but I know that on other assembly lines components are not always fitted in the same sequence because of the difference in time taken to fit.

I’ve owned a total of seven Volvos in the past thirty years. Five were petrol and two were diesel. Every single one of them had under bonnet sound insulation.

Add to that the fact that a Volvo parts manager has confirmed to me that ALL XC40s (petrol and diesel) were fitted with under- bonnet insulation until recently and was it dropped for MY22 as part of a cost saving exercise.

As I’ve said in an earlier post, I have experience in automotive production and I know that every fraction of every penny is accounted for. Nothing is fitted to a vehicle if it isn’t meant to be fitted.

I personally choose to believe that Volvo ARE penny pinching and I fully understand why they would. The primary function of any business is to maximise profit. The versatility pack on my XC40 is lacking the under seat storage, the remote tag, and the folding rear headrests. All of these things dropped from the pack recently, but the price didn’t go down at all.

Hey, but if you want to think this is not the case then I’m OK with that. We’re all on this forum to share knowledge and opinion. I value your input and welcome your opinion but let’s not get confused between fact and opinion.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3629

@Moss - Yes you have stated you views on this matter many times, and feel fee to continue what seems your solitary views too ;) - its just not convincing or supported by the evidence :? - the XC40 is a car pitched towards the premium market and as such would have been designed and engineered to have this under-bonnet felt fitted on all ICE models - please feel free to show any evidence to support otherwise, and the only credible reason for its removal is as goldy states; also, until anyone has experienced both how is it possible to comment on the difference it makes, so goldy's view that the difference in noise is "unmistakable" is valid.

When launched to the Worlds Press who thinks they would have handed over without them fitted - answers on a post card :)

Moss, You also seem to suggest that it was just luck that any petrol model had one fitted, do you mean, like one was just lying around by the assemblers feet, maybe there because it was missed from the previous diesel on the track?? :lol:
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:11 pm Finally a comparison that concludes these pads do perform real functions :shock: ; some think these pads would have only been removed following long risk assessment meetings to conclude its not needed? If that is so then a bean counter must have had the final say rather than an engineer as its removal seems to diminishes the original concept :( .
Are you sure you understand how risk assessments are carried out? Do you really think the conclusion would have been it doesn’t sound very nice when we shut the bonnet so we better keep it? What sort of risk is that then?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3629

A very big risk - you p***off the customer and your "premium brand" targeted product goes down a notch :shock: - not all risk is down to injury etc - some economics are included :lol:
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:47 am A very big risk - you p***off the customer and your "premium brand" targeted product goes down a notch :shock: - not all risk is down to injury etc - some economics are included :lol:
No you clearly don’t then!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
goldy

Post by goldy »

Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:47 am A very big risk - you p***off the customer and your "premium brand" targeted product goes down a notch :shock: - not all risk is down to injury etc - some economics are included :lol:
I won't be having another the T3 was rubbish and went after 18 months of trying to sort out running problems but they didn't. Volvo answer "you must have a rogue"
The B4 is much better but not perfect and in my opinion volvo customer service has gone down the pan. I've had many volvos for many years but this will be my last.