Under bonnet insulation.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

It’s not as if someone has said I know let’s not fit these items anymore. The process would go through a cost to risk assessment and a whole change process which would include detailed risk assessments.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

You would like to think so but still an hilarious thought - you see its not really a vital part, a car will function fine without one - its more of a part to fulfill desirable functions to enhance quality, so in my view no risk assessment really, just cost cutting on a model that's now had its awards.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

And we'll still have a nice day knowing that whatever the reasons were for fitting/not fitting pads 4 years ago, they are not necessarily the same reasons why pads were fitted on cars delivered before the end of October last year, and not fitted on cars delivered since.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:37 pm You would like to think so but still an hilarious thought - you see its not really a vital part, a car will function fine without one - its more of a part to fulfill desirable functions to enhance quality, so in my view no risk assessment really, just cost cutting on a model that's now had its awards.
I can assure you any changes to vehicle build will go through a change process and that would include risk assessments
Deleted User 3629

@Chris John. Am sure you are right, but guess it would have been a 1-mins assessment with cost saving as the driver ;) - after all their is no other credible reason - it was always said - if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - guess what :D
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 am @Chris John. Am sure you are right, but guess it would have been a 1-mins assessment with cost saving as the driver ;) - after all their is no other credible reason - it was always said - if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck - guess what :D
A change process does not get signed off just on cost savings. Hence the word process.
Deleted User 3629

No but as stated, if read accurately, often the driver :roll:
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I appreciate this is now an old thread, but further to previous comments I’ve been doing a little bit of digging. I’ve spoken to several Volvo dealers about the lack of under-bonnet sound insulation and active grille shutters (louvres). I’ve established that the MY22 car I purchased have neither of these items specified. One parts manager went as far as to tell me that these parts were fitted to all UK spec XC40s (petrol and diesel), but have been dropped as part of a cost saving exercise. As someone said in an earlier post. It seems Volvo are increasing their prices and removing any non-essential parts to reduce costs.

None of the dealers could provide the under-bonnet insulation for my car because it doesn’t specify one, but, when pushed, would sell me a panel from a MY21 XC40 (p/n 31442796). The lowest price I was given was £217 including VAT. I didn’t order one. I thought I’d see if I could get one from a breaker first.

None of the dealers could quote me for the active shutters. I can live without them, but the lack of them does adversely affect the warm up time and fuel consumption in cold weather.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

KeithR56 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:15 pm I appreciate this is now an old thread, but further to previous comments I’ve been doing a little bit of digging. I’ve spoken to several Volvo dealers about the lack of under-bonnet sound insulation and active grille shutters (louvres). I’ve established that the MY22 car I purchased have neither of these items specified. One parts manager went as far as to tell me that these parts were fitted to all UK spec XC40s (petrol and diesel), but have been dropped as part of a cost saving exercise. As someone said in an earlier post. It seems Volvo are increasing their prices and removing any non-essential parts to reduce costs.

None of the dealers could provide the under-bonnet insulation for my car because it doesn’t specify one, but, when pushed, would sell me a panel from a MY21 XC40 (p/n 31442796). The lowest price I was given was £217 including VAT. I didn’t order one. I thought I’d see if I could get one from a breaker first.

None of the dealers could quote me for the active shutters. I can live without them, but the lack of them does adversely affect the warm up time and fuel consumption in cold weather.
Can’t you live without the insulation as well?
Tonto21

Post by Tonto21 »

My MY22 T3 Momentum (built late Sept 21) must have been manufactured just before they dropped the under bonnet pads and active shutters, as I have both. I would have been a bit miffed at losing the bonnet pad, but plain angry at missing out on the active shutters. I've had these on my last 3 cars and during winter the active shutters must make a considerable difference to the time taken to reach optimum operating temperatures, whilst a lack of them will have a knock on in terms of fuel consumption.
You don't see them as much these days (in the UK at least), but people used to invest in grill covers to aid warm up during the winter months - they seemed particularly popular with London Black Cab drivers. Whilst of course none of this is applicable to electric vehicles, Volvo should have retained the shutters for ICE cars, if only for environmental reasons.
I'm extremely happy with my XC40 and my dealer, but having followed this forum for the last year, I am disappointed in what seems to be a trend from Volvo to play just a bit fast and loose with customer care and general penny pinching. Likewise the various areas highlighted elsewhere on the forum to marginalise their dealer network. I know Volvo need to make money, but if you want to pitch your cars as a premium product, you need to be very careful where you make economies. Whatever the product, brand loyalty isn't what it was and customers can't be taken for granted.