Random electrical gremlins?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

I don't know if it's related but my T3 has an auxiliary battery that trickle charges when the car is running but discharges continuously as I believe it keeps the software 'live'. If the car is only used for short runs occasionally then this battery can start playing up and the display starts showing various messages, such as parking assist unavailable.

XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Poacher wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:51 pm I don't know if it's related but my T3 has an auxiliary battery that trickle charges when the car is running but discharges continuously as I believe it keeps the software 'live'. If the car is only used for short runs occasionally then this battery can start playing up and the display starts showing various messages, such as parking assist unavailable.
The auxiliary battery provides power for the stop/start and power steering (electric) functions. Mine did start messaging a few weeks back regarding power steering failure / reduction but after a good run it has stopped giving me the messages, stop/start also stops working if i only do short trips.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Well our car is back for the third time.
Dealer master tech and Volvo technical been reviewing data and came to the conclusion that the battery was rhe issue.
I'm a little skeptical if I'm honest but we shall see.....
pagesXC40

Post by pagesXC40 »

Had the car back in the garage recently whilst it was exhibiting the faults , no seat movement or climate control functions as usual. They decided with Volvo to replace the climate control module and the car was ok. Within an hour of collecting the car it happened again! This time they had the car for a few more days, disconnected lots of the other main modules and it appeared the driver's door module triggered the fault. This module apparently doesn't have fault codes so didn't show up in any diagnosis. They messed around with the connections etc in the door and I have the car back in working order.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Funny as I was just logging in to update....

Yesterday, our car failed once again - heated seats not working and heater/blower stuck on maximum. I've called the dealer yet again and they've not even bothered to call me back (Lookers Colchester). I'll call customer service yet again on Monday but they are zero use too.

Very disappointed - 4th failure in 3 months, twice with total electrical failure requiring recovery.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

stu22 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:08 pm Funny as I was just logging in to update....

Yesterday, our car failed once again - heated seats not working and heater/blower stuck on maximum. I've called the dealer yet again and they've not even bothered to call me back (Lookers Colchester). I'll call customer service yet again on Monday but they are zero use too.

Very disappointed - 4th failure in 3 months, twice with total electrical failure requiring recovery.
I would strongly recommend (if not done already) to contact Volvo Customer Services and flag the issues you are having and the lack of resolution. With my case they were very helpful.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
stu22

Post by stu22 »

XC40Warwick wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:10 am
stu22 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:08 pm Funny as I was just logging in to update....

I would strongly recommend (if not done already) to contact Volvo Customer Services and flag the issues you are having and the lack of resolution. With my case they were very helpful.
I've spoken to them on the 2 of the previous occurances, I will be calling them again on Monday but to be honest they haven't helped at all - just said that the dealer will work to resolve the problem which they don't seem capable of.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Unbelievably (or more so believably!) our car has failed yet again - the 5th time now since Christmas!

Started playing up again last week with the heated seats and heater fans playing up again - called the dealer and mailed Volvo customer service but neither responded. Today despite the car being used regularly over the last few days, total electrical failure again!

I've just been on the phone with Lookers Volvo and Volvo customer service and told them exactly what I think, and that we don't want the car back until rectified - not feeling under pressure to accept the car back because they don't want to pay hire car costs!

I'm absolutely disgusted by the situation, we've never had a car that is so unreliable as this supposed 'premium' brand.
pagesXC40

Post by pagesXC40 »

our car is still ok after nearly 4 weeks! you could maybe get your dealer to contact marshall volvo in leeds. they should be able to say exactly what they did to fix the problem
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We still haven't got ours back, apparently they can't find anything wrong with it despite it going in to them on the back of a recovery truck with total electrical failure. Seems all they've done is charge the battery in nearly 2 weeks.
We've told both our dealer and Volvo to look on forums such as this to see that this just isn't our car bit they deny any similar issues.

Had a call late yesterday asking us to call the garage this morning, so will see what they say but one thing is for sure - this car is not staying with us.