Brake Pads

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jonathan66

Post by jonathan66 »

Hi,
I have replaced the rear brake pads myself for the first time at 30000 miles. Waylands Bristol was telling me that they were down to 3mm - they use the standard Hilka guage on the outside pad. They told me that the inner pads would be less but the inner pads cannot be accessed to measure without removing the wheel. They say that the inner pads wear more because the piston acts on the inner pad (which is true) so their statement is logical. Waylands wanted £250 for the replacement including labour, Kwik Fit and ATS quote about £150. I got Dephi pads from GSF for £45 and did the replacement myself. I had no trouble winding back the parking brake motor with a 4.5mm hex key (making sure that the brake was off before I started the job). My reason to write the post is that the actual measurements (using a vernier) of the pads removed where OS Outer 4mm OS inner 6mm NS Outer 5mm NS inner 5.5mm. So Waylands assumption that the inner pads wear more is not true in my case and I did not need to replace them. The new Delphi pads start at 11mm
XC40 Inscription MY2020 D4 AWD