T5 Recharge charging time

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

JimElliott wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:55 pm Greggspies , do you notice a spike in your electricity bills charging your T5
If you do the maths, a typical house uses less than 10kW per day. The battery on the car is also around 10kW so if you are charging every night, then you could double your household electricity usage!

Certainly worth looking at some of the EV tariffs (like Octopus Go) if you are going to be charging most days
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

A quick and dirty calc says 20 miles on Electric costs £2.50 against £4.00 for petrol.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:04 pm A quick and dirty calc says 20 miles on Electric costs £2.50 against £4.00 for petrol.
I assume that’s for charging at home. So it’s always better to plug-in charge than not to charge at home.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Yes, @ .25p per kWh which is on the low side. Petrol at £1.40 a litre, assuming 35mpg, would cost £3.60 for 20 miles. Not much of a saving really.
Lincolnshire England.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Makes zero sense to ever plug in and charge to a paid for public charger.

Time alone means sitting there for one hour would get you 7 miles extra battery as an absolute max plus at £0.60 per kWh you would be looking at a cost of about £2.10 means about 30p per mile. So an hour of your time to pay more than if you just ran on petrol
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's going to be another factor that's going to slow the take up of EVs by those who can't have the facility to charge at home unless the price comes down significantly which might happen due to increased supply in the future but it's a big might and consumers don't like that sort of uncertainty. And even if the price does come down many folks won't like charging away from their property and the inconvenience.

If what I read is correct EV sales have already stalled as private buyers aren't convinced for a number of reasons and won't be helped by the move from zero VED next year, unless the government backtracks on this.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If a BEV cost about £10k new, I'd consider it. Else the financials and inconvenience just doesn't stack up. Unless it's a company car as you say.

We need Hydrogen and we need it now!
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

If the Hydrogen fuel-cell ever came to the mass market, guess it will be the market leader who achieves it - Toyota Corp.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Volvo are actively involved in the development of hydrogen fuel technology, as are BMW and indeed most other major manufacturers. Honda have been ahead of the game for quite some time and will more than likely be the first major marque to release a hydrogen fuelled vehicle onto the mass market.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Toyota Corp have been in the game since 92 and their Mirai was the worlds first Hydrogen mass-produced car. But on a serious note, think Honda may well push EV's and General Motors may well be the safe bet to bring hydrogen fuel technology to the wider mass-market. That said, BMW seem to be developing a X5 version!!