T5 Recharge charging time

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

However hydrogen has even more barriers to market than EVs so whilst the technology may have more benefits, the effort required to make it usable for mass market adoption are much greater
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:19 pm -And even if the price does come down many folks won't like charging away from their property and the inconvenience.
-
You mean just like their current petrol or diesel cars where they have to drive to a petrol station and when on a long journey often find themselves faced with £1.80 per litre at the motorway service stations?

The price of petrol keeps going up and up (i can just about remember when it was below £1) yet people just seem to accept it as they have no choice. Why should public EV charging be any different?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Takes the same time to fill up with fuel and to charge then does it! :roll:

I guess youre assuming that there will be a public charging point available nearby? We're a long way off from that and blocks of flats could be a challenge and lone females won't be too happy walking to and from their cars if away from their property. My nearest petrol station is a quarter of a mile away, if that was an EV charging station what am I supposed to do whilst charging? On a long journey you need a break anyway but not for local use.

What attracted some folks to EV was the cheaper "fuel" which is the case with home charging even with the price of electricity rising steeply but not public charging so if you can't charge at home why would you want to go EV? And that's before VED comes in for EVs next year and the government decides how it's going to claw back the lost income from fuel duty. At the moment EVs only really make sense for business users who get tax incentives.

I think that for most non-business users motorway fill-ups with petrol or diesel only make up a small percentage of their journeys and you can choose to use them or non-motorway service stations. If you can't home charge you have no choice.
Last edited by ChrisLF on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I believe the biggest hurdle holding back the take up of EV Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology is the people that have investment in Battery EV's! It's simply not to Their benefit.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

There will be that but I think the main problem is the production of hydrogen which is very energy hungry.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

JimElliot, Inevitably there is an increase but I have no idea how much. When I got the car I was able to measure how much electricity the car was using but I stopped when energy prices shot up. I felt it best to stay ignorant!
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
JimElliott

Post by JimElliott »

I guess you are as well putting in a proper cabled outside 3 pin socket as putting in an electric 7KW charger if the difference in charge time is not so long ,
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You should also count for heat loss when using a longer cable. More info here: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ng-losses/
Bamber

Post by Bamber »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:04 pm A quick and dirty calc says 20 miles on Electric costs £2.50 against £4.00 for petrol.
I reckon that's a pretty good estimate. I have domestic solar panels installed (no solar battery pack) and even at this time of year it knocks a pound or so off a full charge - on a fine sunny day then it costs next to nothing. Roll on summer!
24 MY XC40 T5 Ultimate PHEV, leather seats, 20" wheels, fjord blue
JimElliott

Post by JimElliott »

Looking for some guidance ,
nearly new 2023 T5 , I fully charged it last night on 3pin plug , took approx 4 hours , Full charge showed 24 mile range on electric gauge

drove this morning 5.4 miles at fairly low speed , and gauge is saying 11 mile left 59% charged !!

Volvo app says I consumed 3.2 KWH wh , so if I have 59% left , why is it not showing 16 miles and why did it reduce 24 mile range by 13 miles on a 5.5 mile trip

The car is superb , but above is a bit concerning to say the least , it says I would be lucky to get 10 miles when car fully charged

I was driving in Hybrid mode

very confused , Jim