XC40 R Design B4P 7 SPEED

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

hotfrog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:47 am According to the price list (5b) both versions, AWD/FWD, of the B4 are 7 speed. The B5 remains as 8 speed.
Whatever the case with the B4 (and I suspect these models are in/will be in transition to the 7-speed box - either temporarily or permanently) a possible reason for the B5 remaining 8-speed is the inability of the 7-speed box to handle the higher torque from this engine.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Oldie wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 pm That's a point - how they are programmed and who's the maker I guess
..my previous car (A BMW X1 X-line petrol) had the same Aisin gearbox as fitted in my new XC40. On paper many of the other characteristics were very similar, but the two cars drive very differently.

For instance, the XC40 seems rather less linear in its throttle response, with there being a pronounced mid-point at which things rather take-off more. It does make the XC40 feel considerably more sedate until you kick through it.

I suspect this has more to do with the throttle mapping than the gearbox settings, but how would you tell? ;)
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Down to the torque curve of the engine, including final drive ratios, and gear ratios. Each car maker will have these specific to their car for the "same" gearbox...
gripross

Post by gripross »

same here..picked my B4 FWD R Design up on 18th october and that too is 8 speed, So it isn't the case of FWD equals 7 speed and AWD equals 8 speed
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Volle80

Post by Volle80 »

I think the gearbox is not the only thing which is changed in the middle of year. The petrol engine of the B3 and B4 is now 2.0 four-cylinder and now runs via the Miller cycle.
EastboneR10

Post by EastboneR10 »

Picked my B4 FWD up on Friday, just confirmed it is an 8 speed box.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Volle80 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:09 pm I think the gearbox is not the only thing which is changed in the middle of year. The petrol engine of the B3 and B4 is now 2.0 four-cylinder and now runs via the Miller cycle.

My B4 from march is also 2 ltr. Back then is was only B4 and B5, the '3' was still a T3.

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

One of the reasons I changed to Volvo from VW/Audi was to get a TC auto rather than DSG due to the sketchy reliability. I had a Passat DSG which needed a new mechatronic unit, fortunately under warranty.

As said DSG are great for sporty cars but for SUVs I thought a TC would be better suited i.e. smoother and I've been very happy with it in the Volvo.

Hopefully the DSG/dual-clutch unit that Volvo have chosen proves to be reliable. And hopefully that tendency, as mentioned in an earlier post, for a DSG to roll forward when you lift off the throttle has been addressed.

I was nearly caught out when reversing out of a car-parking space on a slope when I was baulked by another car coming past and had to come off the throttle. Could have quite easily hit the wall in front. It's not like you can hold it on an electronic handbrake as you can with a normal handbrake. My wife didn't like driving that car but is happy with the Volvo.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
thanoolhs

Post by thanoolhs »

Have any news for someone to order b4 and take 7 speed transmission?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi, I'm new to the Forum having just upgraded ( in my opinion) from a VW Troc, I've just taken delivery of an Auto B4p FWD Inscription in Fusion Red .. delighted with the car so far
Anyway ...... I've been reading this thread with interest and don't know if I have the 7 or8 speed box .. how do I find out?? Should it be on the paperwork or is there some way to see it in the car menus??
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps