What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
trignflo

Post by trignflo »

As a P8 owner (subscriber) the Google OS is very slow, latest software updates removed pilot assist from steering wheel controls and now hidden in a menu. Lack of Apple Car Play as messaging / phone calls with Google OS is painful, if you try and call a contact with a name similar to a shop it tries to call the nearest shop. Messaging is hit and miss. The rest of the car as an electric is great and I’ll doubt I’ll go non-electric again but I long to go back to my V90 Software with Apple Car Play. Speed sign recognition is worse than the V90 constantly reverting to 60 on a motorway. I hope newer Volvos with Google OS have a quicker processor so it works reliably. Love the drive, build quality, safety just the OS is a serious let down.

pwliv

Post by pwliv »

ropetko wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:49 am
pwliv wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm Very little irritates me compared to my previous BMW, however one thing that seems to me poor is that when Pilot assist loses the road markings there is no audible warning, just the steering wheel icon going grey. This seems to be a surprising issue for a manufacturer as safety conscious as Volvo. I would have added the random nature of the demands for steering input in Pilot Assist, but I seem to have learned how to apply enough to avoid all but the occasional warning chime - of course that means I am probably doing more than necessary, but it is still very worthwhile on a long drive.
On my 2018 D4 I can feel the steering wheel doing a slight shake or a tremble when loses the road markings, as an alarm. I don't think it should be doing an audible alarm. First, because it would happen quite often on some roads and second - you should have your hand on the wheel the first place and not fooling around. Having your hand on the steering wheel enables you to feel that shake and to look at the road again.
Anytime I go tapping on the central screen (which I do quite often and that makes my wife crazy, with a good reason) I make sure Pilot Assist in on and the wheel icon is green. My left arm is on the steering wheel, making sure I will feel the shake.
No shake on mine that I can feel, and I do have my hand on the wheel, but checking the wheel is green before looking at the central screen is no us if it goes grey 1 second later. I don't really understand the comment about the frequency of losing the markings, I doubt mine has lost them half a dozen times.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The warning given can be set in the lane keeping settings, manual page 26, this includes an optional vibration on the steering wheel.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Felindre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:41 pm The warning given can be set in the lane keeping settings, manual page 26, this includes an optional vibration on the steering wheel.
This is for lane keeping, not Pilot Assist, and relies on the road markings - it vibrates when you cross the white line (and not if it can't find one)
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

pwliv wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:21 am
Felindre wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:41 pm The warning given can be set in the lane keeping settings, manual page 26, this includes an optional vibration on the steering wheel.
This is for lane keeping, not Pilot Assist, and relies on the road markings - it vibrates when you cross the white line (and not if it can't find one)
IT's true, the warning can be set for lane keeping and not for Pilot Assist. Too bad that 2021 Momentum wheel doesn't vibrate when losing road markings. Now I'm afraid of my regular maintenance software update in a month or so :(
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
bba

Post by bba »

Radio reception for FM and particularly DAB is poorer than other recent cars. Anyone else noticed this or maybe nobody but me listens to the radio?
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

bba wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm Radio reception for FM and particularly DAB is poorer than other recent cars. Anyone else noticed this or maybe nobody but me listens to the radio?
Radio is my main listening. Not had any issues other than the signal dropping out at local blackspots which also happened in my previous cars.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

DAB is definitely weaker than my previous BMW. A couple of places where it loses signal which never happened before.

Internet radio is excellent though.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
TechnoNerd

Post by TechnoNerd »

Shark Fin antennas by design, are not good for AM/FM reception unless close to strong signals. This is par for the course.
They are very good at Satellite and GPS reception though. Whip antennas are still the best for terrestrial radio reception in vehicles, but most people consider them "old fashioned" and "ugly" so auto makers will oblige.
It's all about the looks!
2020 XC40 T5 AWD Momentum, Thunder Grey / Oxide Red Leather (US Specs)
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Sharks fin antennas are not used for FM or DAB. Elements in the rear window glass are.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior