What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
kelvynbt

Post by kelvynbt »

Dash lighting control - nigh impossible to locate when you're driving
Reversing lights - candles would be better
MY22 XC40 B4 FWD R-Design Pro in Crystal White

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

kelvynbt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm
Reversing lights - candles would be better
I think the problem is their location, high on the rear haunches, they're not pointing onto the road. My tiguan had them inset in the bumper below the camera level and the view through the rear camera was excellent.

Love the look of the rear lights, but this poor lighting should have been picked up during product testing.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

The car is great and I am very pleased with it.

The one thing that I do not like is the auto gearbox selector logic. Push forwards to go in reverse and pull backwards to go forwards. It seems so illogical and confusing.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Even worse if using manual mode is that you have to move the lever from side to side rather than up and down to change gear! Fortunately I have the paddles.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

hotfrog wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:00 am The car is great and I am very pleased with it.

The one thing that I do not like is the auto gearbox selector logic. Push forwards to go in reverse and pull backwards to go forwards. It seems so illogical and confusing.
This is left over from original automatics. The sequence from stick furthest forward to back is Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, then any lower gears, e.g.3, 2, 1. So Reverse being forward of drive is normal I'm afraid.

However agree that the switch to manual, and manual up down is counter to most other boxes on the road, I've had Jaguar and VW and they're shift sideways for manual, then forwards backwards for up and down.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
cmbillm

Post by cmbillm »

ChrisLF wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 am Even worse if using manual mode is that you have to move the lever from side to side rather than up and down to change gear! Fortunately I have the paddles.
Agree - it is just unintuitive to move the selector forwards to go backwards and backwards to move forwards... I have escaped minor bumps in and out of parking spaces by the skin of my teeth having spent many, many years using autoboxes with the opposite selection.
T3 R Design Auto - Pebble Grey
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Did Volvo ever give a reason for removing the Paddles?

Getting us ready for Electric vehicles possibly, like hiding the tail pipe?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

cmbillm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:13 am
ChrisLF wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 am Even worse if using manual mode is that you have to move the lever from side to side rather than up and down to change gear! Fortunately I have the paddles.
Agree - it is just unintuitive to move the selector forwards to go backwards and backwards to move forwards... I have escaped minor bumps in and out of parking spaces by the skin of my teeth having spent many, many years using autoboxes with the opposite selection.
Really, what car was that. So drive was all the way forward, reverse back towards you and park further back?

This is an image of a typical US selector

Capture.JPG

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Agreed. My previous Karoq was the same. R forward of D.

The main difference for me - even after two months - is the DSG required a button unlock on the lever, and I tended to look down when shifting, whereas the Volvo doesn't have a physical "gate" so I tend to look more at the screen?

It's just.... different.

skoda-karoq-gearbox.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

cmbillm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:13 am
After 9 days ownership That is exactly my experience. I check several times that I have the correct selection when moving away from parked obstructions.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.