What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

charles_M wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:52 pm Thought I'd revive this topic.....

I've had the the car exactly 2 years now, so this is my second winter.

Almost everything is fine, except THE HEATING.

Its rubbish, takes ages to warm the cabin, even when set to 25C. Long after after the engine has warmed up, the temperature SLOWLY creeps up.

I've had many cars over the years, this XC40 is at or near the bottom when it comes to heating. Odd, because in a summer heatwave (UK climate) the aircon is great.

Anyone else agree, or is there a fault in the car?

XC40, T4 auto inscription
I have a T4 and struggled in the past with aircon and heating. The problem was me using Auto Fan on 1, ever since it’s set on 2 climate works perfectly. Make sure climate system is on Auto with fan set on 2 or 3.

Check also engine coolant level when the engine is cold and top up to MAX (see user manual for instructions). Engine coolant evaporates over time and low level in the expansion tank often creates cabin heating problems.
Last edited by eugen61 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

bba

Post by bba »

Felindre wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:04 am Headlamps, they don't have anywhere near the beam coverage of the one's on the misses VW T-Cross. Same with reversing camera, miserable particularly at night. The Cross is clear and almost like looking in daylight.
Very much agree, while not terrible the headlights are not that great. In my case compared with the matrix headlights of the BMW 330e. Also reversing in the dark can be 'interesting' with the cameras not being of much use.
Last edited by bba on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

I know it is all part of the package but the aircon settings while in Eco mode have on some long trips I’ve done, caused the windscreen to mist over. Was ok on my latest long drive tho.

Also having to select your drive mode every time you get in the car is annoying.
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

joeldram wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:41 am I know it is all part of the package but the aircon settings while in Eco mode have on some long trips I’ve done, caused the windscreen to mist over. Was ok on my latest long drive tho.

Also having to select your drive mode every time you get in the car is annoying.
For this reason, I set the individual mode to ECO for engine, but not aircon, then use this all the time. Agree it's a nuisance it can't be the default.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

Felindre wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:56 am
joeldram wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:41 am I know it is all part of the package but the aircon settings while in Eco mode have on some long trips I’ve done, caused the windscreen to mist over. Was ok on my latest long drive tho.

For this reason, I set the individual mode to ECO for engine, but not aircon, then use this all the time. Agree it's a nuisance it can't be the default.
Good tip. I’ll look at setting that up.
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
bba

Post by bba »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 am
I have a T4 and struggled in the past with aircon and heating. The problem was me using Auto Fan on 1, ever since it’s set on 2 climate works perfectly. Make sure climate system is on Auto with fan set on 2 or 3.

Great tip! Thanks
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Playing USB content. Same pendrive, same content, previous car showed a list of folders (albums) played each right through, and on to the next.

XC40 shows a mix of folders and files. When it sees an actual album, it'll play it, then revert to the beginning and start again.

Seems to be no consistency. I need to sit in it a while and try the different headings. Driving me crazy 🤬
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

The poor reversing camera image at night is not because the camera is poor, it's because of the pathetic LED reversing lights on the XC40. trying to reverse down a narrow driveway with stone walls on either side is a nightmare after dark, even with rear fog lamps, hazard warning lights and brake lights on.

I was looking for an upgrade within a few days of buying the car, but unfortunately the reversing light units have built-in LEDs so it's not possible to put a decent quality bulb in.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I have the same problem. I posted a picture higher up of some reversing lights which can be mounted in the bumper. I am going to speak to an autoelectrician about the cost of fitting some similar ones.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I expect in a couple more years Volvo will have a man with a red flag walking in front for safety reasons. Give him a torch and he'll be able to guide you when reversing. Technology, wonderful thing 😉
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.