Well 4 weeks in all OK

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Well Im now 4 weeks in of ownership. Pebble grey XC40 hybrid T5 Inscription. blonde interior.

Am I happy? you bet I am, good choice. 500 miles to date 97% on electric 3% petrol brilliant. Charger to be fitted next Wednesday, using 3 pin plug just now charge every day. Like the performance, traded in a Audi Q3 TFSI 1500cc to buy the Volvo, this is a lot quicker my wife and daughter say it feels more solid than the Audi. Its fair to say Im very pleased.

The cars brilliant not so the dealership (cant say who they are).
Firstly as I posted before I had to contact Volvo customer service to see where the car was 3 hrs later got a call from dealership, "Its a hour away in a compound you can collect on Saturday".
So I go to collect salesman, " I sent you a E Mail saying where it was" He didn't because I kept them

Handover was embarrassing he asked me at least 5 times to give him 10 out of 10 when I got the survey from Volvo. It was so bad my wife who was sat in the rear had to get out because she said she just wanted to laugh it was cringy, Im not vindictive so I gave him 10.

Ive always had a dash cam fitted ,, I bought a Nextbase 550 from Halfords and they have always fitted them to be fair they have always done a good job for £36, but this time I thought I would get it fitted by Volvo. Halfords didn't give me much confidence when they were looking in glove compartment for fuse box, then said "yes its here I think I can do it OK" I think I can do it and thinking they are looking at a fuse box isn't something that inspires confidence when you've just paid £42500 for the car.

So I booked it in at Volvo. "Yes we can do it it will be about a hour that's £117 plus VAT you can wait if you want"
I turn up 10 minutes before allotted time and hand keys over, car is taken into workshop fortunately Ive taken a deck chair so I can sit outside watching the world go by.
Anyway 1hr 20 minutes have gone by no ones looked at car so I go and ask for keys back and I will go somewhere else ( its only been booked in 11 days)
Big panic and a technician makes a start so after another hour and half, pop head round corner to see how he is getting on, Mmm my word not too good. He explains this dealership have never done one before, hes using google and u tube.

About another three quarters hour on and hes nearly there apart from finding a fuse that shuts off when ignition is switched off
in the end it was the electric seat fuse he used.

To be fair I felt sorry for the lad, but if I had been told they hadn't done one before I would have got someone else to do it, told them I wasn't impressed and would probably go somewhere else for servicing, they didn't charge me.

The only other thing is when I ordered it I was told "Inscription Pro has everything" What It doesn't you cant even drop rear seat headrests that £150 extra I think everything means everything. My fault for not doing my homework.

Just one more thing I think more time should be spent on handover explaining internet connection and purchasing a P SIM card, I never knew about that I thought you just connected to broadband.
This is why this forum is brilliant Ive learnt more off here than the dealership . Ive ordered a SIM £6 for 4 GB data from Virgin, stick that in and we are away hopefully.

Id like to finish by re iterating I love the car, Volvo customer services were very good they kicked dealership up backside and speeded up charger fitting.

I don't know what this post is saying really Is it me de stressing me self :lol: :lol:

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Agree on the car, i've had Alfa's, Subaru's and last was a RRS Hybrid (which i would get back in a heartbeat) the XC40 wasn't my ideal choice but it ticked all the boxes for my daughter who just passed her test. Safety first.
Have also had the dashcams, front and rear and have installed myself, takes about an hour. Biggest worry is using the right fuses (every car different) and then wondering if Volvo will say something when it goes in for service etc.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Don’t they supply SIM cards anymore then?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Glad your still enjoying the car.

Like you I had issues at the dealership and in the end gave back honest feedback on my Volvo survey (very low for rep think it was a 1) and just over a year later they closed.
The service department was excellent - shame that they went when the dealership closed.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

I know you’ve not had the greatest experience with the dealer but i’d go back and ask them for the free 1 year 100gb p-sim

i can’t find anywhere on the net that it’s stopped

see below

https://www.carsuk.net/all-new-volvo-ca ... or-a-year/
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Chris john & Billybobb2019, It does have a SIM fitted and I did download the weather app once after about 4 failed attempts but when I turned the car off it disconnected and once again took several attempts to connect.

I believe the SIM is Vodaphone and I read somewhere you have to contact them to set up a account apparently it has 100GB free data.. Since I have a account with Virgin I contacted them hence the £6 Sim. To be honest I aren't to £6 I haven't put any petrol in as yet and Ive done 500 miles.

I am 70 yrs old and to be fair am thick when it comes to that sort of tech (it took me 2 weeks to get my ringtone on my phone changed) But on the other hand give me a motorbike engine and I will strip it and put it back together with my eyes closed, I could MOT HGVs and PSVs mechanically Im sound, Its horses for courses.

I got the info re replacing the SIM off various websites, forums, google, U Tube, Volvo User manual.

A few years ago who would have ever thought a car could or would be connected to the internet by a phone SIM.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Morning Step

fair enough - it was an absolute pain the ar*e getting the free SIM to work even to the point that the dealer gave me a copy of the settings to enter on the console as they gave up! - the hardest part was dealing with the internet in the car team at Vodafone - their registration website is awful - i just think that dealers are either withholding the sim because of this or they are actually misleading people buying,if we are honest, expensive cars without the features advertised - i was concerned the SOS and on call features wouldn’t work if i didn’t sort this but they are run off a different in built SIM you can’t access.

i’ve not bothered replacing my sim after it ran out i bought an alexa auto instead - much easier tbh - i found the built in apps lacking i only miss the text readout but not that much

enjoy your XC40 😄👍
step2534

Post by step2534 »

billybobb2019, Thank you I think might have made the right decision in the end and lets be honest £6 isn't a lot.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

step2534 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:03 am billybobb2019, Thank you I think might have made the right decision in the end and lets be honest £6 isn't a lot.
Agreed 😄👍