No more heated windscreen? (Recharge Pure)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
msaddict

Post by msaddict »

I've been a T5 First Edition owner back when they first came out and one feature I've found really useful in frosty weather has been the heated windscreen.

I've been looking into a fully electric XC40 and have noticed as part of recent updates to the specification (in the UK at least), they seem to have removed the heated windscreen both as standard equipment (on the higher trims) and as an option. I've contacted Volvo UK and they have confirmed this.

It seems that the P8 First Edition models (which all the car reviewers have been reviewing) included the Climate Pack which also included the heated windscreen. However recent changes to specification mean that the Climate Pack is no longer an option for the Recharge Pure, instead it's standard equipment on the higher trims minus the heated windscreen.

I'm hoping this is a mistake and that it's just been missed in the spec but I doubt it - more likely some form of cost cutting. If this is the case, not the end of the world of course but with the Recharge Pure already being an expensive car, I would have expected to see it standard on the top spec Recharge Twin Pro (or at very least an option).

If anyone has any insight into this, please share. Thanks.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

msaddict wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:18 pm I've been a T5 First Edition owner back when they first came out and one feature I've found really useful in frosty weather has been the heated windscreen.

I've been looking into a fully electric XC40 and have noticed as part of recent updates to the specification (in the UK at least), they seem to have removed the heated windscreen both as standard equipment (on the higher trims) and as an option. I've contacted Volvo UK and they have confirmed this.

It seems that the P8 First Edition models (which all the car reviewers have been reviewing) included the Climate Pack which also included the heated windscreen. However recent changes to specification mean that the Climate Pack is no longer an option for the Recharge Pure, instead it's standard equipment on the higher trims minus the heated windscreen.

I'm hoping this is a mistake and that it's just been missed in the spec but I doubt it - more likely some form of cost cutting. If this is the case, not the end of the world of course but with the Recharge Pure already being an expensive car, I would have expected to see it standard on the top spec Recharge Twin Pro (or at very least an option).

This is either a mistake or given the way Volvo are deleting items left, right and centre, not required because it doesn’t come with a windscreen, just a pair of flying goggles…
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

I really don't understand why Volvo let different markets decide what features are available to customers and how they are packaged - sure maybe no point in offering a cabin heater in Djibouti but Volvo UK seem to change things all the time for what seems like no good reason.

I think there were 5 different option/price lists between the time I started mentally picking out what I wanted and when it came to placing my order, that was only over a month or so.

In fact I had to correct the sales person who believed something was included in a pack that had since been removed and had to be added separately (can't remember what it was now).

When my sales invoice didn't stipulate what price list I was ordering against (does the Intellisafe Pro Pack include BLIS this week or not?) I got a bit nervous and asked how I would know exactly what I'm getting, like is it based on order date or what, they couldn't answer.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:42 pm
This is either a mistake or given the way Volvo are deleting items left, right and centre, not required because it doesn’t come with a windscreen, just a pair of flying goggles…
Even Volvo’s online car configurator can’t keep up with all the changes: it’s been unavailable for weeks in several markets, placidly stating “we’re having some technical issues, please try again.”
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

msaddict wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:18 pm I've been a T5 First Edition owner back when they first came out and one feature I've found really useful in frosty weather has been the heated windscreen.

Looks like this is true in most if not all markets. Part of the ongoing trend to reduce the configurable features. I had a quick look at some other country sites including the ubiquitous International and there is no sign of a heated windscreen on a Recharge Pure Electric. Even in the USA where you can still add a Climate pack to the config the features don't include this .....

XC40 USA Recharge Pure Climate.jpg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

By the way, having seen several posts talking about the apparently increasing uncertainty of knowing exactly what is included in a vehicle spec/config once ordered, it should be straightforward to ask the dealer for a full list of the VDN codes. These define each standard & optional extra feature. For example the Heated Windscreen code is (was?) TA02. They are usually 4 alpha characters.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Could it be a problem, perhaps with power capacity? Are there many pure electric cars from other manufacturers that come with a heated windscreen?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

jamie307 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 am Could it be a problem, perhaps with power capacity? Are there many pure electric cars from other manufacturers that come with a heated windscreen?

Good point. The I-pace does …

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/Jaguar- ... 1627891001

but maybe not many …

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/1620/bes ... indscreens
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I can't see it being because of power capacity. The XC40 PHEV has a heated screen and very much smaller battery. Does a front screen heater consume more power than a rear screen heater? Much less than heated seats. I would have thought..
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior