Cost of second maintenance of XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Hi

question for these that remember what was the maintenance after 2 years in Volvo garage?
I have quite low mileage, my garage I need to replace a/c filter, and it costs here quite a fortune.
If you have detailed receipt, that will be welcome so I could compare

I have merely 17,000 km on odometer, garage says they don't care and want to use the routine for 30,000 km, replacing the breaks fluid and these filters.
Otherwise they threaten the guarantee will be void

Michael

scol

Post by scol »

I think this is unfortunately normal, service intervals are based upon maximum time or mileage, which ever comes soonest. Technically I think you could have some or all of the work done outside of the dealer network provided it is executed correctly using genuine parts. You could ask them test things like brake fluid, it is often replaced unnecessarily but I doubt that they will be interested in doing that. I recently asked a local dealer to quote for a service plan it it came out almost 50% more than pay as you go but the I queried it, they offered to match the PAYG prices so I am thinking about that as it does spread the cost and protect against price increases.
March 2021 B4 AWD R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the toys.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
When I picked up my T3 in March 21 (new car), I also paid for the Volvo 3 year service plan that was £399, the last time I looked it had gone up to £599 but that is still cheaper than 3 independent services I believe. As for that bull**** that the dealer told michael123, if you have a problem with the gearbox they not going to fix under warranty because you haven’t changed your brake fluid !!!. I would report the dealer to Volvo uk .
Check out the periods before you need to change brake fluid with Volvo, I have had numerous vw group cars and it’s 3 years with them
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

There has been some recent discussion about break fluids here; apparently the manufacturers (of the oil, not Volvo!) recommend changing the oil every 2 years, so we'd be in the wrong if not changing and having issues / failure later.
However, voiding the entire warranty of a car because a brake fluid is a bit strange. Treathening is becoming the norm with many dealerships, so it'll be up to you what you agree with and what not - and bearing the risks obviously.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi,
I checked and it is recommended every 2 years, so I will look forward to that in the future. Checked some prices for a brake fluid change, Halfords £39.99, Marshals a main Volvo dealer with around six dealers in the middle of the country £79.99.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Interesting that different manufacturers sourcing brake components and fluids (all DOT40) from the same component suppliers have totally different service requirements. BMW just flagged ours to be changed at 3 years. Nissan, in the past (can't speak for now) said 4 years.

Used to be that you tested the brake fluid for water content and changed it when it failed.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

With regards to break fluid, some say every two years and some say three etc, yet it has always mystified me that we just change break fluid without testing it first.

Break fluid is not contained in a fully sealed system and thus can (and does) take on moisture - we are told that it must be changed at a specific interval, but this is on the assumption that your break fluid has not only taken on moisture but it has reached the 3% moisture content saturation requiring it to be changed - actually even 3-years down the line this may not be the case and the moisture content may still be well below 2% or even no moisture at all.

When you are told your break fluid needs changing - ask - have you first checked the moisture content. This is an easy task to do using a break fluid tester, which most garages have anyway, and takes about 5-mins - and, if the moisture content is below 2%, then, it is my understanding that it would not require changing - just think of all the break fluids being unnecessarily changed - lets hope it can be re-cycled in some way?
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Be careful with the brake fluid change - not doing may not affect your warranty but it could impact your insurance if you have an accident. My previous BMW was even more bizarre in that the brake fluid change was calculated on when it came off the production line, not when it was registered, so it was completely out of step with the service intervals
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I guess insurance companies would, they often try anything to get out of a claim these days. I am not suggesting don't change the break fluid, my point was, its a system of just replace rather than test to see if replacement is needed - and the cost's seem to be made up for doing so with prices so varied?

Part of any service in my view should be to check the moisture content of the break fluid - checking is too easy not to.

Also, I have never understood why its not tested at MOT - all the steering/ parts of the breaking system are, and yet the activation fluid that makes them work is not. The MOT requires the tester to just activate the brakes and if a certain even pressure is obtained it's a pass - that's a very different scenario to when the brakes are hot and the brake fluid is 10-yrs old and then boils because of a high moisture content - I wonder how many 4th and 5th owners ever change the break fluid ????
Norton

Post by Norton »

On the Volvo website you can see costs for service at all the Volvo dealers in the UK and details of what is included in the service
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mainte ... aintenance and click on “Book a Service Online”

Random sampling of a few dealers on the website shows the cost of the second-year (or 36,000 miles) service for a T4 auto varying from £405 (Ayr) to £560 (central London). Engine air cleaner replacement and passenger compartment air cleaner replacement are included. Brake fluid replacement, if required, is additional from £55 (Ayr) to £90 (London).